Put yourself at the intersection of history, feminism, Judaism, and social change. Help lead a dynamic team at a non-profit working to strengthen women’s voices and impact.
The Jewish Women's Archive (JWA) is a national organization devoted to collecting and promoting the stories and voices of Jewish women, to ensure a more accurate historical narrative and a more inclusive future. Founded in 1996 as an innovative online archive, JWA has become the world's largest source of information on Jewish women and has built a wide range of online and public programs that provide education and insight and spark conversation and change. With a newly ratified vision and strategic plan, growing programs, new investment in organizational capacity, and a lively presence in feminist, Jewish, and historical spheres, this is an exciting moment to join JWA.
The Director of Strategic Communications is a new position designed to oversee JWA’s strategic communications, marketing, and development. S/he/they will build relationships with partners and donors to expand JWA’s reach and impact, and develop and lead JWA’s communications strategy to increase visibility.
- Work in partnership with Executive Director, Director of Development, and communications staff to expand and implement strategic communications, revenue generating opportunities, and fundraising activities and events for JWA
- Develop and direct marketing (including online marketing campaigns) and PR plan for JWA organizationally and for specific projects and events, and oversee its implementation
- Represent JWA with local and national stakeholders
- Identify individual and institutional funding prospects, and build and steward relationships; manage a portfolio of major donors
- Manage foundation relations and contribute to grant proposals and reports
- Oversee and curate JWA’s brand identity
- Lead development and communications staff
- Pursue media opportunities and maintain PR relationships
- Work with board members and manage relevant board committees
Required Skills and Experience
- At least 5 years of success in senior leadership, including communications and marketing, fundraising, and strategic planning
- Experience working closely with board members, major donors, and institutional partners
- Superb editing and writing skills, including grant writing experience
- Excellent organizational management skills, including the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, manage a budget, and serve as a thought-partner and decisive leader
- Familiarity with online marketing tools and concepts, particularly Google products, conversion ratios, and online analytics
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Comfort and skill in public speaking, and ability to represent JWA locally and nationally
- Knowledge of the Jewish community and communal organizations in the U.S.
- Commitment to the mission of the Jewish Women’s Archive
- Sensitivity to and awareness of issues related to Judaism, gender, history, and social justice
- Exceptionally organized, entrepreneurial, and adaptable
- Passionate, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Positive attitude and sense of humor
- Willingness to travel
JWA offers a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as a collaborative, creative, and fun work environment. The office is located in Brookline, MA, a vibrant area of shops and restaurants, convenient to public transportation. JWA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and LGBTQ people strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required