America’s Service Commissions (ASC) seeks a marketing and communications professional to join our growing team as Manager, Marketing and Communications to play a critical role in advancing the external affairs objectives of the organization. Duties will include developing content for social media and other communications activities, coordinating the development of publications to document the impact of national service, developing public policy advocacy campaigns, and developing a strategy to raise the profile of the work of ASC and the state service commission network.
The ideal candidate will bring a strong understanding of the role of state service commissions in supporting the national service network and will lead communications efforts to advance this work.
This full-time salaried position will be remote, based out of a home office. Travel to Washington, DC and other locations in the U.S. is required.
- Develop and implement ASC's social media, media, and communications strategies
- Implement the annual ASC publication strategy to include the ASC annual report as well as other publications to highlight the work of ASC and the state service commission network
- Manage the monthly ASC Communications Learning Community Call and other efforts to build the communications and marketing capacity of state service commissions
- Develop video content for ASC events (in coordination with an outside consultant as needed), including the annual ASC Innovation & Leadership Awards Reception as well as the National Service Training Conferences
- Maintain the ASC website and newsroom, National Service Training Conference site, and States for Service coalition webpage and online presence
- Develop, write, design, and distribute ASC’s Newsletter on a monthly or quarterly basis
- Curate and manage ASC’s public Flickr Photo Gallery as well as internal photo library
- Support event production for ASC events, including the annual ASC Innovation & Leadership Awards Reception as well as the National Service Training Conferences
- In coordination with the ASC public policy team, develop and design frequent digital advocacy campaigns
- Issue press releases and e-blasts to promote ASC news, events, and initiatives to a network of 5,000+ recipients
- Develop collateral and printed materials to promote the work of ASC and ASC initiatives
- Pitch stories regarding the impact of national service programs, state service commissions, and ASC to media outlets
- Ensure compliance with ASC branding guidelines
- Develop graphic elements, as necessary, for social media, PowerPoint presentations, and materials for other external audiences
- Ensure ASC communications align with ASC’s new JEDI communications plan and standards
- Serve as a liaison between state service commissions and AmeriCorps federal agency External Affairs team to provide support, feedback, and amplification of AmeriCorps marketing (ad campaigns, PSAs, special initiatives, recruitment marketing, etc.)
- Work with members of the ASC resource development committee to support annual ASC fundraising efforts to include the annual ASC Innovation and Leadership Awards as well as the annual Giving Tuesday campaign
- Work with members of the ASC resource development committee to develop the annual ASC sponsorship packet and fulfill sponsor benefits
- Support other resource development efforts, as requested
- Actively engage in ASC staff activities, including weekly staff meetings, strategic planning activities, as well as quarterly staff planning sessions
- Engage and supervise communications interns and other volunteers in support of ASC communications efforts
- Enthusiastic customer service orientation
- Current engagement in developing and executing a comprehensive social media and communications strategy
- Familiarity with managing and maintaining social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and social media management/scheduling platforms such as Buffer, HootSuite, Zoho, etc.
- Experience developing video content in coordination with external video production consultants
- Basic graphic design skills and/or familiarity with graphic design programs for collateral (print and digital) and content development
- Experience developing publications, including annual reports as well as other publications highlighting the work of the organization represented
- Demonstrated skills in developing events, including fundraising events, to advance the resource development goals of the organization
- Exposure to working with sponsors and donors to advance the goals of the organization
- Excellent writing, communication, and editing skills with an attention to detail
- Experience working with boards and other individuals in leadership positions
- Ability to work independently and with various volunteer committees
- Experience promoting national service initiatives and programs
- Comfort using and learning a wide variety of systems and software, including but not limited to Apple products, Keynote/PowerPoint, Pages/Word, Zoom, Basecamp, Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft Outlook, Excel/Numbers/Google Sheets, SurveyMonkey, event/member management systems, media tracking software (Meltwater or similar), graphic design software (Canva, Adobe InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop/Acrobat Pro), Basic HTML for web editing, E-Mail Marketing/Newsletter software (using WYSIWYG editors), social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr) as well as social media management/analytics platforms (Buffer, HootSuite)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in a home office with limited day-to-day direct supervision
- Cultural competency and eagerness to learn
EONS and EOE. ASC is an Employer of National Service and gives hiring preference to AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni. ASC is also an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for our employees, volunteers, consultants, and our network. Learn more about our commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion here.