The Brooklyn Criminal Court program provides a safe reception center and various services to assist victims of crime navigate through the criminal justice system. The program provides crisis intervention, case management services, advocacy, information and referrals and practical assistance to survivors and victims of crime, providing client-centered safety assessments and risk management plans and reducing the impact of victimization.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide case management services and crisis intervention to victims and survivors of crime;
- Conduct client-centered safety assessments and prepare risk management plans;
- Provide court orientation, criminal justice advocacy, accompaniment and support;
- Provide emergency practical assistance including transportation, food vouchers, financial assistance, emergency cell phones, and lock replacement;
- Provide information and referrals for services such as shelters, long-term counseling, public assistance and other entitlements, and assistance with OVS applications;
- Advocate on behalf of clients with the District Attorney’s office, family and criminal court personnel and judges, NYPD, NYCHA and other subsidized housing, employers, schools and other social service agencies;
- Provide technical assistance, consultation and opportunities for training new Case Managers and Client Advocates;
- Participate in staff meetings, community meetings and relevant trainings and seminars;
- Perform data entry into a computerized record keeping system; and
- Various other duties to be determine by supervisor.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Sensitivity towards and understanding of victimization, especially the experience of survivors of domestic violence;
- Strong communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in a calm and reassuring manner.
- Ability to generate tasks and develop creative solutions to problems.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working with survivors of domestic violence and other victims of crime;
- Experience with the criminal justice system;
- Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred
How to apply: Please upload cover letter and resume
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required