614 Courtlandt Ave
The Bronx Documentary Center (BDC), a prominent and growing organization, seeks a dynamic and experienced individual to serve as Managing Director, overseeing staff, daily work and implementation of the organization’s mission across a diverse array of projects during a time of considerable staff, program and infrastructure growth.
Since 2011, the BDC has been a vibrant non-profit gallery and educational space in the South Bronx, with a mission to share photography, film and new media with underserved Bronx communities and the cultural community at large. The BDC uses these mediums to foster dialogue around local and international issues. In just seven years, the organization has secured its position as one of the leading Bronx-based cultural organizations, with 35 major exhibitions, hundreds of public programs including film screenings, lectures, professional development workshops, an after-school photography program for Bronx youth, a photography program for Bronx seniors, and a wide range of community-based activities. On average, 70% of the BDC’s visitor base comes from the Bronx. It has also created a successful workforce development program for adult documentary photographers and filmmakers, ensuring that the next generation of underrepresented Bronx photographers and filmmakers obtain the skills and training they need to work in their field.
The Managing Director will have oversight for staff, administration, facilities, business development, and marketing and outreach. The Managing Director reports to the Executive Director and has responsibility for implementing the BDC’s strategic plan.
Working with the Executive Director, the Managing Director works to ensure programmatic excellence, operational integrity, and to devise strategy and initiatives for institutional advancement and sustainability. The Managing Director will serve as a compelling spokesperson for the BDC, establishing and cultivating relationships with partners throughout philanthropic, educational, and professional communities within NYC and the cultural community nationally and internationally. The Managing Director will serve as part of BDC’s executive leadership team, contributing to the creation and execution of strategic growth plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the leadership team to set and achieve goals; lead the staff in implementing strategies to fulfill BDC’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Supervise a team of three full-time staff and five part-time staff, as well as several contract employees and interns; uphold values of teamwork; provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; ensure collaborative decision-making across staff.
- Act as a spokesperson for BDC at internal and external programs and events.
- Oversee recruitment, hiring, compensation, and performance management (including performance review process)
- Provide benefits administration and oversight
- Oversee staff training and professional development
- Provide mentoring and coaching; act as approachable sounding board and resource
- Provide regulatory oversight and ensure legal compliance
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies and procedures
Facilities and Office Management
- Manage the office’s administrative needs (technology, space, supplies, etc.), ensuring smooth daily operations
- Oversee the maintenance of BDC property and grounds, including security, insurance, cleaning, repairs, renovation projects, waste management and safety.
- Oversee office and facilities budgets and manage outside vendors providing supplies, repairs and other measures.
- Develop and implement a strategy to increase earned revenue, including space rentals, continuing education classes and workshops, darkroom and equipment rentals, contracted film and photography jobs, and merchandise sales.
- Oversee marketing and outreach for earned revenue opportunities
Marketing & Outreach
- Oversee and partner with staff to develop and disseminate effective communication, outreach, and marketing plans and materials
- Manage communications efforts, including PR and social media
- Increase media attention and help grow the BDC’s annual audience with a special focus on outreach and engagement to the South Bronx community
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Strong operational experience with at least 7 years of professional experience. Ideally has worked for a nonprofit in a senior management role
- Skilled staff manager with experience building and leading diverse work team in an inclusive environment; able to guide team members’ growth and development
- Demonstrated success in business development; experience handling a variety of revenue streams (e.g. individual, institutional, corporate partnerships, events)
- Effective networker, spokesperson, and relationship-builder, able to engage partners from a diverse cross-section of professional industries as well as community stakeholders
- Self-starter and adaptable professional; ability to collaborate effectively with a team as well as work independently
- Excellent organization and time management skills, as well as strong attention to detail
- Prior experience in non-profit arts, education, or youth development organizations preferred
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive - professionalism, high energy, patience, hard work, and a “can do attitude”
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to BDC’s mission.
- Demonstrable evidence of strong written and oral communication skills; comfortable with technology
Bronx Documentary Center (BDC) is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to social justice.
Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Bronx Documentary Center offers a competitive health and vacation benefits package
Level of Language Proficiency
Ideal candidate would speak Spanish and English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
A resume with complete employment history and education background and a detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position should be submitted electronically to MDposition@bronxdoc.org.
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2018 and will continue until the search process has been concluded.
For more information about the Bronx Documentary Center, please visit www.bronxdoc.org.