Staff Attorney – HIV/AIDS Advocacy
- Job posted by Mobilization for Justice (formerly MFY Legal Services)
Details: Salary is pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement.
Mobilization for Justice (formerly MFY Legal Services), a non-profit legal services organization that provides a wide range of free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers, is seeking a staff attorney to provide advice and legal representation to Bronx residents living with HIV/AIDS in a wide range of civil practice areas including, but not limited to, public benefits, family law, advance directives, discrimination and confidentiality. The attorney will be part of a team that represents clients in State and Federal administrative proceedings, Family Court, and State Supreme Court as appropriate; works in coalition with advocacy groups city- and state-wide on policy issues; analyzes and provides testimony on proposed HIV-related legislation; works with community organizations, including conducting trainings; and communicates regularly with elected officials and the media. This attorney will work at Mobilization for Justice’s Bronx office.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting client intake; conducting legal research; drafting legal memoranda, advocacy letters and other legal papers; and litigating all phases of cases, including drafting pleadings, engaging in motion practice, conducting trials, and writing and arguing appeals; advocating directly with governmental agencies that provide benefits or services to clients.
- Conducting outreach to the Bronx community, and training community groups and HIV-services providers on the rights of persons living with HIV/AIDS in the areas of confidentiality, public benefits, future care and planning, and advance directives.
- Staffing and conducting intake at off-site legal clinics (at community organizations, offices of elected officials, places of worship, sister organizations, in courts, and other places to accommodate clients).
- Inputting and maintaining detailed records in a case management system.
- Admission to NYS Bar preferred.
- Minimum of one year of litigation experience and experience representing persons living with HIV/AIDS and/or in the areas of family law or public benefits law.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Ability to balance an active caseload and travel between the main office, satellite office(s), outreach sites and courts.
- Ability to staff clinics and participate in other work-related events during evening hours from time to time.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample addressed to Elise Brown, Director of Housing Litigation, and transmitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “HIV/AIDS Advocacy Staff Attorney” in the subject line. We encourage all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your background or experience might contribute to the diversity and perspective of our office. Please indicate where you saw this ad. Applications must be received by November 20, 2018. Early applications are appreciated. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. No telephone calls please.
For further information about MFJ, please go to www.mobilizationforjustice.org.
MOBILIZATION FOR JUSTICE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people are welcome and encouraged to apply.