Middle School English Language Learning (ELL) Teaching Fellow [2018-19 Academic Year]
- Job posted by Excel Academy Charter Schools
Details: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates more than 1100 students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
About the Role
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent, high-quality feedback on their practice.
The English Language Learning (ELL) Fellow will be responsible for ensuring that all ELL students make significant academic gains through sup-separate classroom instruction as well as additional out-of-class and classroom (i.e. inclusion) support. With the support of school administrators, the ELL Fellow will support administrative and regulatory aspects of the ELL program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with ELL students during assigned periods of the day
- Regularly assess students’ progress and use assessment data to drive instructional choices
- Plan and teach a literacy program to ESL students with the support of the ELL Specialist and Associate Dean of Student Supports.
- Include in classrooms supporting ELL students to access grade level curriculum..
- Support the management of the ELL program including, but not limited to: completing necessary paperwork, training teachers, managing parent and student communications, executing student testing/screening, and upholding general Department of Education compliance requests
- Align student support services with the school’s mission and educational philosophy
- Enforce school-wide systems and procedures to effectively manage the classroom
- Continually communicate with students and families regarding academic and behavior performance and progress
- Serve as an academic advisor and a member of a homeroom team
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community
- A Bachelor’s degree is required;
- A minimum of one year of experience in an urban public or charter school setting is preferred, but not required;
- A demonstrated commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit http://www.excelacademy.org/join-our-team/ to learn more about working at Excel, and/or
visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/excel to view a current list of career opportunities and submit an application.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received; candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.