The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking an experienced Senior Program Assistant to work with the Managing Director (MD) and two to three Clean Vehicles & Fuels staff of the Climate & Clean Energy Program in our San Francisco office. The Senior Program Assistant will provide full day-to-day administrative support to the MD and program staff including calendar management and scheduling, planning travel logistics, and event coordination. The Senior Program Assistant will play a key role in effectively coordinating projects, particularly in budgeting and grant proposal preparation. The ideal candidate has excellent administrative and coordination skills, is adept at working in a collaborative culture, and possess good judgment and tact.
- Provide administrative support to the MD and two to three program staff including complex calendar management, scheduling and prioritization, processing of confidential correspondence, invoice and expense reporting, and file maintenance.
- Organize meetings, program retreats and events working with internal and external parties; coordinate logistics, scheduling and agenda, and technology.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, working autonomously based on preferences and protocols established with MD and program staff.
- Coordinate departmental budgets, working with budget owners to ensure accurate tracking of spending, compliance with approvals process, and frequent reporting with finance staff.
- Work with internal subject matter experts to coordinate grant proposals, renewals, and report submissions.
- Research, prioritize, and follow up on issues and concerns addressed to the MD, including those of a sensitive nature; determine priorities and appropriate course of action.
- Manage material gathering, administer the collaborative online space for materials and agendas, and participate in meetings to take notes.
- Help manage relationships and communications with donors and other external contacts.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7+ years of administrative experience supporting leaders, senior staff, and teams
- Self-starter and quick learner with the ability to manage own work, effectively engage with multiple stakeholders, and balance assignments
- Proactive and detail-oriented problem solver with the ability to deliver high-quality results on time
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to build relationships at all levels in a collaborative culture
- Adept at working with autonomy, flexibility, and efficiency in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable managing multiple teams, priorities and projects at the same time
- Strong project management / coordination skills
- Advanced Excel skills, and experience working with financial reports and spreadsheets
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite / 365
- Superior proofreading and editing skills
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Dropbox, Concur, and videoconferencing applications a plus
- Interest in environmental and social issues
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your application through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-899-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.
Minimum Education Required