55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets highly motivated, low-income public high school students to and through college.
The Assistant Director of College Admissions is responsible for leading and executing an effective college admissions program for the SEO Scholars program in New York. This includes the development of all components of SEO’s college access, preparation, and advising programs from 9th through 12th grades along with management of staff. The Assistant Director will also maintain and strengthen partnerships with colleges, universities, and scholarship programs that result in 100% of students attending competitive post-secondary institutions.
We seek a dynamic and highly entrepreneurial leader, eager to create systems that support the implementation and improvement of a successful college advising program that prepares and guides 1,000 students through the college admissions process.
The Assistant Director of College Admissions leads a team of three Program Managers of College Advising who are responsible for direct college advising to students. The team also includes a Manager of College Access who oversees campus visit and scholarship opportunities. The position closely collaborates with all grade-level leads, the Curriculum and Instruction Department, and a team of College Persistence Advisors.
Lead the Team
- Inspire, support and develop three Program Managers of College Advising and one Manager of College Access
- Coach staff on best practices around student support, advising, and engagement
- Conduct engaging and collaborative department meetings and 1:1 check-in meetings that keep all initiatives on track
- Set meaningful, outcomes-oriented department and individual performance goals
- Conduct mid and end-of-year reviews
Shape New Initiatives
- Grow and refine SEO Scholars’ practices and policies on college admissions, scholarships, and financial aid advising to increase the number of students admitted into competitive institutions while decreasing gaps in financial aid
- Manage the development and implementation of department and staff-wide trainings on college admissions, scholarships, and financial aid advising based on staff and program needs
- Work collaboratively with the Curriculum and Instruction Department to deliver comprehensive college advisory curriculum for Scholars in 9th through 12th grade
- Work collaboratively with the Associate Director, Vice President and College Persistence Team to develop and grow SEO’s formal and informal partnerships with colleges and universities that improve students’ access and advocacy within the college admissions process
- Collaborate with other grade-level leads to create a continuous college awareness program and college-going culture for Scholars from 9th through 12th grade
- Partner with the College Persistence Team to develop program initiatives that ensure a seamless transition from the high school program to the college program
Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree required
- Three to five years of experience in college admissions at a high school, college or university
- Experience managing a motivated and high-performing team with a demonstrated track record of success
- Experience managing complex projects with multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Advanced Excel, data analysis and reporting skills
CORE COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Passionate about closing the opportunity gap on the high school and college level for first-generation and low-income students
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong work ethic, and high level of professionalism
- Highly detail-oriented with superior written and oral communication skills
- Highly adaptable and solutions-oriented with an ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to work a Tuesday through Saturday schedule (2-3 Saturdays/month during school year with some flexibility) and some nights as dictated by programming needs
- Bilingual Spanish/English is highly desirable
Please email your application to ScholarsStaffing@seo-usa.org using the following conventions:
- Subject: Assistant Director College Admissions – First Name Last Name
- Body of Email: Include name and contact information
- Attach: Cover letter and resume saved as First Name Last Name_cover letter & First Name Last Name_resume
Minimum Education Required