City Living NY (CLNY) is a small, NYC-based nonprofit with the mission to empower youth aging out of foster care to successfully transition into adulthood by providing concrete resources, tools, and
support services. CLNY provides young adults ages 21-25 who have recently aged out with home goods and furnishings for their first apartments. All CLNY clients are assigned a social worker who helps them identify their needs and goals and provides ongoing support around a wide range of issues including educational, employment, financial, social-emotional, parenting, and recreational. CLNY is expanding its small social work team and is seeking a part-time social worker to work directly with our young people. We are looking for a social worker who shares our passion for empowering and supporting young adults who have experienced foster care, and who works from a strengths-based, culturally responsive and trauma-informed perspective. The part-time social worker will meet with clients in their homes and communities, with the remaining advocacy work to be conducted in the CLNY office or remotely. CLNY serves clients throughout New York City. We are seeking a social worker for the Brooklyn/Queens region.
· Serve a caseload of young adults who have recently aged out of foster care.
· Conduct intakes and assessments and identify each client’s goals and needs.
· Conduct assessment of physical home environment; assist youth in obtaining needed apartment goods and furniture through CLNY.
· Conduct regular home and community visits with all clients.
· Provide ongoing case management and supportive counseling, and crisis intervention as needed.
· Provide referrals to appropriate outside agencies and organizations; accompany clients to appointments as needed.
· Advocate to ensure clients receive relevant entitlements and benefits.
· Support young people in developing daily living skills, such as budgeting and managing their household.
· Maintain detailed and up-to-date progress notes and relevant case documentation.
· Complete reports and statistics needed for funders as directed by Supervisor/Executive Director.
· Attend agency and other meetings as needed.
· Other duties as determined by Supervisor/Executive Director.
· LMSW or LCSW required.
· Two or more years working with at-risk teens and young adults and/or in child welfare.
· Ability to navigate complex social service, educational and other systems, and knowledge of services for young adults in NYC.
· Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to work flexible hours and conduct home visits/phone contacts on evenings and/or weekends as needed to accommodate client schedules.
· Ability to work independently, take initiative, and maintain detailed and up-to-date records.
· Experience conducting home visits a plus.
· Bilingual Spanish/English a plus.
This is a part-time position and therefore does not include benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency required; bilingual Spanish/English a plus.
Minimum Education Required