333 Cony Road
The Maine Dairy Promotion Board is a non-profit, USDA qualified, dairy promotion organization established in 1953 and funded by Maine dairy farmers. We work closely with Dairy Management Inc. (DMI), the Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP) and regional counterparts to implement national dairy promotion programs in Maine.
The Maine Dairy and Nutrition Council is a non-profit, USDA qualified, nutrition education organization established in 1949 and funded by Maine dairy farmers and processors. As an affiliate of National Dairy Council, our staff of registered dietitians works closely with DMI and MilkPEP to extend nutrition education programs to health professionals, schools and media in Maine.
The Executive Director must be able to provide strategic leadership, direction, inspiration and support to the organization, and work effectively with the Board of Directors as well as a wide variety of professional partners, dairy farmers, allied organizations, and committees. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, solid financial aptitude, and enjoy managing a team (currently three staff members).
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Foster an organizational culture emphasizing teamwork, flexibility, and communication.
- Plan, develop and establish policies and objectives of the organizations in accordance with Board directives and the Unified Marketing Plan (UMP).
- Develop organizational plans and budgets to ensure effective utilization of dairy farmer sourced funding.
- Act as personnel manager:
- Develops and administers Board of Director approved personnel policies to meet requirements of state and federal laws
- Evaluates employee benefits packages for recommendations to the Board of Directors
- Completes salary survey and recommends compensation schedule to the Board of Directors
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff performance
- Communicate regularly with the Board of Directors and industry leaders.
- Coordinate programs with other national and local dairy / agricultural promotion organizations.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- Experience in marketing, sales, economics, and/or dairy/agricultural promotion with supervisory experience.
- Appreciation of Maine’s unique qualities, and those of our dairy farmers and industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellence in interpersonal and communication skills, including writing and making effective presentations to internal and external partners.
- Knowledge and understanding of advanced financial and management accounting principles, methods, and practices; skill in business and financial planning.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Ability to compile, analyze, interpret, and present complex annual financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple projects and details simultaneously, while modeling flexibility as part of a goal-oriented team.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Leadership proficiency.
- Commitment to ethical conduct.
- Exceptional business and team leadership; able to instill a culture of operational excellence.
- Ability and/or experience in grant writing and fundraising.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point), and Accounting Software (Quick Books).
- Able to travel frequently (local, multi-state, and national); must have reliable vehicle and current/valid driver’s license.
- Executive Director should be available on an on-call basis as needed, including nights and weekends.
- Experience working in agriculture and/or the food value chain are a plus.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements. Thank you.
Maine Dairy Promotion Board is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required