Policy and Communications Associate (a.k.a. Storyteller & Systems-Changer)
- Job posted by JobsFirstNYC
11 Park Place
JobsFirstNYC's mission is to leverage all available community, corporate, human, organization, private and public resources to implement systemic solutions to bring out-of-school and out-of-work young adults into the economic life of New York City. JobsFirstNYC has adopted four fundamental and interconnected approaches to achieve this goal: (1) EMPLOYER ENGAGEMENT to make business a key partner in connecting youth to the labor market; (2) RAISING CONSCIOUSNESS about the out-of-school and out-of-work young adult crisis; (3) ADVANCING PRACTICE of organizations and individuals focused on the needs of young adults; and (4) BUILDING OUR OWN CAPACITY to become the premier workforce intermediary for young adults in New York City and beyond.
The Policy and Communications Associate will serve as a key member of a fast-paced team working against ambitious goals to break down barriers and revolutionize systems so more young adults have access to economic opportunity and can reach their fullest potential. the position is perfect for a politically conscious and informed Millennial with two-to-five years of experience as a community organizer, policy analyst, communications coordinator, political strategist, or other related role. In partnership with the Vice President, the Policy and Communications Associate will be charged with developing and implementing a sophisticated storytelling strategy across the organization using a variety of platforms. Additionally, this position will support the development and execution of an aggressive policy and systems change agenda in New York City and State.
Policy & Systems Change
- Policy Analysis and Issue Research: Assist in researching emerging trends - locally and nationally - that impact young adult employment and economic security. Analyze and synthesize information and create presentations, and other materials to communicate trends and best practices to support organizational needs. Draft materials in various forms including fact sheets, blogs, policy briefs, presentations, research briefs, case studies, memorandums, and more.
- Strategy and Impact: Assist in the development of and help lead in the implementation of a systems-change strategy at a city and state policy level, including activating leaders and front line workers in the field, working closely with advocacy and organization partners, and positioning JobsFirstNYC to increase its impact and ability to navigate through a complicated policy and government landscape.
- Relationship Management: Develop and manage relationships with key government and institutional staff critical to revolutionizing systems. Understand power structures and key influencers and how to leverage them.
Communications & Storytelling
- Strategy and Voice: Manage all mass communications created by JobsFirstNYC staff for clarity, consistency, voice, and message. Support the development of storytelling across JobsFirstNYC's work.
- Digital and Online Strategy: Hold responsibility for the JobsFirstNYC website, including managing copy, content and enhancements, so that the website is an engaging, effective user experience. Write and edit email communications such as Top Stories in Demand newsletters, and more. Contribute to the creation of strategic materials to meet diverse messaging needs, including position statements, press releases, opinion-editorials, blogs, copy for infographics and one-pagers, and more. Develop and implement JobsFirstNYC's social media strategy (including paid media) to increase awareness, stimulate conversation, and engage various stakeholders.
- Media Relations: Support the cultivation of relationships with journalists and influencers, pitch coverage of JobsFirstNYC's work and impact, field requests, arrange and prep staff for media interviews, and pitch story ideas to generate op-ed opportunities.
Competencies & Qualifications
- Three to five years relevant experience required.
- Quick and adept learner, able to synthesize new information and research, organize relevant data, and present to senior staff for review.
- Experience in managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines. Ability to work collaboratively, track project progress, and proactively provide solutions and alternative approaches.
- Analytical and problem solving skills. Process and approach for effective research, critical thinking, clear presentation of information and analysis. Demonstrated ability to visualize, articulate, conceptualize or solve both complex and uncomplicated problems by making decisions that are sensible given the available information.
- Relationship building skills. Experience in working with stakeholders of varied roles, leadership and backgrounds, and can adjust approach to assure relationship success.
- Competency with Office, particularly Excel and PPT, and quick learner of technology systems.
- Ability to communicate in a consistent, proactive and inclusive manner.
- Supports organization's goals, values and strategies, and works well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions.
JobsFirstNYC offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required