Excelsior Conservation Corps- Stewardship Team Supervisor
- Job posted by Student Conservation Association
Details: Salary starts at $780 per week, paid biweekly and eligible for benefits
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks an experienced, quality-oriented Mixed Stewardship Project Leader to supervise a team of 8-10 AmeriCorps members.
Position Dates: Currently hiring, position is year-round, full-time.
Location: The program is based on the SUNY Brockport campus and will complete projects around the state of New York.
- Must have prior experience in supervising young adults, preferably in an outdoor setting
- Must have working knowledge of safely operating power and hand-tools
- Excellent communication, leadership skills, and strong work ethic are required
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills is strongly preferred, i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, rigging/ grip hoist experience, landscaping, and gardening
- Self-starter ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to carry heavy loads up to 50 pounds and be able to work in outdoor environment exposed to the elements including camping and hiking for extended periods of time. Up to 5-10 days per hitch
- Wilderness First Aid/CPR certification
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal vehicle, mileage will be reimbursed at $0.54/mile
- Preferred: Previous completion of an SCA Work Skills Session
- Please apply if you meet the minimum qualification as stated above
This team will be responsible for completing habitat and cultural resource restoration projects including invasive species removal, trail maintenance and construction projects, erosion control, basic carpentry projects, and chainsaw projects. Specifically, the Project Leader is responsible for:
Crew Manager Functions-
- Lead and manage a crew of eight to ten 18–28y/o AmeriCorps Members for up to 10 days at a time, in an outdoor setting
- Lead and manage work outcomes and crew dynamics
- Facilitate team operations including; food planning, tools & equipment, and vehicles
- Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
Technical Advisor Functions-
- Supervise and assist the work skills training of corps members
- Manage the quality & technique of the work performed
- Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success & potential
Partnership Representative Functions-
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics
- Ensure successful and timely completion of projects
Program Administrator Functions-
- Assist SCA Excelsior AmeriCorps Field Coordinator to complete required program reporting and documentation
- Assist SCA Excelsior AmeriCorps Field Coordinator in budget management and reconciliation
- Assist SCA Excelsior AmeriCorps Field Coordinator and Education and Outreach Coordinator with member recruitment and trainings
- Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
- Represent SCA in a positive and professional manner
SCA Excelsior Corps works in partnership with the NYS Governor’s Oﬃce, the NYS Commission on National and Community Service (AmeriCorps), the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, the NYS Environmental Facilities Corps and the NYS Oﬃce of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
Health insurance and benefits eligible. Meals and housing provided. Tents and group gear provided.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with “SCA Excelsior AmeriCorps: Project Leader” listed the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.