Details: Grow Brooklyn offers a competitive compensation plan.
1474 Myrtle Ave
About Grow Brooklyn: Grow Brooklyn is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Central Brooklyn with a mission to grow and preserve the assets of local residents, ensuring their economic security and that of their communities. We have three programs: free tax preparation, free housing counseling, and free and low-cost legal services. Our full-time staff is five. GB is an affiliate of Brooklyn Coop FCU.
About Brooklyn Coop FCU: Brooklyn Cooperative Federal Credit Union is a certified CDFI and low-income credit union whose mission is to build wealth, resilience, and opportunity by providing access to just and affordable financial services. Founded in 2001, we operate two full-service branches in Bushwick and Bedford-Stuyvesant, serving almost 7,000 members across Central Brooklyn with a wide range of consumer and small business financial services. Our full-time staff is 16.
As individual organizations, Grow Brooklyn and Brooklyn Coop each have established innovative programs that serve as national models for generating and preserving wealth. Together, we represent the most comprehensive approach to community economic development in New York City. We position ourselves firmly within the economic justice movement, including the promotion of cooperatives as a transformative economic development strategy.
Position Description. The Assistant Director is a newly created position that will fill a key role by enabling Grow Brooklyn’s Executive Director (who also serves as Brooklyn Coop’s Chief Executive Officer) to work most effectively with both internal and external stakeholders. This is an opportunity for someone who is drawn to our organizations’ mission and potential and would like to be a part of shaping their future.
GB’s Assistant Director will play an integral part in executing GB’s strategic and fundraising initiatives as well as those of Brooklyn Coop in the instances where they overlap. Over the course of a single day this person may be conducting a staff meeting, then communicating among multiple stakeholders to ensure progress on an initiative, then filling out quarterly narrative reports, and then tidying the office before a community workshop.
The right candidate for this position will make the biggest impact through creativity, organization, and skillful facilitation. They will be a highly resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, integrity, the ability to see both the forest and the trees, superlative writing and analytical skills. They will not hesitate to perform the task in front of them whether it be speaking to elected officials about the critical work we do for local residents or figuring out why the printer jammed.
- Administer policies, procedures and processes that fulfill the needs of programs while promoting data integrity and appropriate internal controls
- Prioritize organizational resources in alignment with GB’s strategic plan
- Manage third-party vendors
- Support program staff
- Lead special projects as assigned or initiated
- Manage GB’s grants and contracts administration
- Human resources
- Collection of timesheets, coordinating payroll disbursements, tracking staff time off, maintaining personnel folders
- Assist the Executive Director in general ledger accounting and payments, ensuring accurate and timely financial recordkeeping
Skills & Qualifications
- 3+ years’ experience in project management, preferably in a non-profit.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Mature and professional work ethic, including the ability to build productive relationships among staff, board members, funders, and community partners
- Maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Driven to excel with an interest in non-profit management.
- Ability to think critically, act decisively, and synthesize information accurately
- Impeccable communication skills, both verbally and written, and attention to detail when it comes to editing correspondence, reports, and other documents.
- Accounting skills highly desirable
- Multilingual highly desirable
A generous and curious nature, a sense of humor, and a demonstrated commitment to Grow Brooklyn’s mission and the people we serve
Level of Language Proficiency
Multilingual is desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume, cover letter and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org