District of Columbia
World Learning has an opening for one Program Officer to cover the Europe and Central Asia portfolio on the Global Undergraduate Exchange Program. World Learning is a cooperating partner of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs on this program. Global UGRAD provides a diverse group of emerging student leaders with scholarships to attend US colleges and universities for one semester, as well as opportunities for cultural immersion through community service, practical internships, and other enrichment activities.
- Mentor/monitor student exchange experience in the United States. Counseling participants on academic, financial, and personal matters;
- Manage a portion of the Global UGRAD Program’s university partner relationships
- Liaise with the funder and US Embassies in participating countries to ensure successful program implementation, including supporting recruitment and selection, providing quick and accurate answers to requests for information, and collaborating closely on emergencies and other special situations.
- Manage J-1 visas, issue DS-2019s, and ensure that students are in SEVIS compliance for the duration of their programs.
- Assist in the development and implementation of an online course.
- Prepare and oversee budget, track and monitor all student program costs, ensure monthly check disbursements, authorize allowable payments, work closely with Finance staff.
- Design and implement program orientations and in-person workshops for students.
- Conduct limited travel to host universities for site visits and prepare reports for donor on visits.
- Prepare high-quality program reports for funders.
- Maintain an active presence on program social networking sites.
- Assume other program management, execution, and improvement activities as assigned.
- Manage one Program Associate.
- Master’s degree plus two years of related work experience or a Bachelor’s degree and five years of related work experience.
- Experience working with the U.S. higher education community, especially on programs serving international students, and/or U.S. Government-funded exchange programs.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong cross-cultural and communications skills.
- International experience.
- Energetic and strong team player.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Computer proficiency, including Excel, AdobePro, and Salesforce
- Supervisory or management experience desired
- Relevant language skills and regional expertise desired
- SEVIS and J-1 visa experience desired
- Experience developing programming for college-age students desired
Why World Learning
For more than 85 years, World Learning has worked to create a more peaceful, sustainable, and just world. Our education, development, and exchange programs help people find their voices, connect with their communities, and strengthen the institutions that form the backbone of a democratic society. With our support, these emerging leaders tackle critical global issues like poverty, conflict, and inequality.
As a thriving international nonprofit organization with impact in 150 countries, World Learning works across six major program areas. We’re hard at work improving global education to ensure schools and teachers have the tools they need to support students — including English language instruction through our TESOL teacher training. We encourage civic engagement in communities around the world, and we strengthen institutions so that they can best serve their constituencies. Our workforce development programs help people cultivate the hard and soft skills they need to succeed. And we offer people-to-people exchanges for people of all ages who seek professional and academic enrichment.
All World Learning programs are grounded in five key approaches: experiential learning, leadership development, inclusive practices, innovation, and grants management. We believe in partnering with local experts, organizations, and institutions to find solutions that will truly work for each community. Together, we create the foundations for a better tomorrow.
World Learning is a member of the World Learning Inc.Opens a New Window. family, which also includes The Experiment in International Living and School for International Training.
World Learning is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.
Minimum Education Required