900 7th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
We are currently seeking a Publications Specialist to join the Research staff at the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers IBEW), a leading labor organization with more than 700,000 members in the United States and Canada. The candidate will work collaboratively with team members and across the organization to develop and produce a variety of publications such as pamphlets, fliers, books posters and reports, often within tight deadlines. The candidate should be a self-starter and a fast learner who is able to edit written work for clarity and readability.
Representative Major Duties:
- Develop, write, rewrite, edit, and proofread a variety of materials.
- Read and evaluate manuscripts or other content submitted for publication to ensure they are well written and logically structured; adjust tone and arguments for a variety of audiences.
- Design publications using Adobe Creative Cloud software such as lnDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Coordinate projects from research stage through final production.
- Use proofreading and editing marks and professionally accepted style manuals.
- Locate, evaluate, and use appropriate research materials to complete projects.
- Determine potential copyright and permission issues and resolve them.
- Prepare documents and artwork for commercial printers and work directly with printers when necessary to evaluate quality and accuracy of layouts and artwork.
- Exercise personal judgment in selecting photos and evaluating and/or creating graphics appropriate for illustrating concepts in publications.
- Basic understanding of labor relations and union issues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively independently and within a team.
- Meet frequently with staff to discuss projects and resolve problems.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- Creative problem-solving and analytical-thinking skills and ability to contribute new ideas and incorporate feedback.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's or graduate degree in Journalism. English, Communications, or a related field.
- 5 years of professional experience in publishing.
35 hour work week and great benefits.
Minimum Education Required