Paralegal - LEAP (Legal Empowerment & Assistance Program)
- Job posted by RiseBoro Community Partnership
217 Wyckoff Avenue
Regular FT – 35 hours/week
Director of Legal Services
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Paralegal will be assigned to 3-4 attorneys to coordinate and facilitate compliance with vacate and payment deadlines. The position is responsible for:
- Prescreen potential cases through court-administered legal services programs.
- Draft litigation documents including subpoenas, affidavits, and answers, etc. File court documents for attorneys. Assist attorneys with witness and trial preparation.
- Assist attorneys and clients with outstanding repairs during litigation and subsequent to.
- Conduct legal intake and manage case files. Conduct site visits to monitor access for repairs and document observations.
- Obtain certified copies of documentary evidence from courts and administrative agencies.
- Act as primary contact for clients from intake to resolution and interpret as needed.
- Advocate on behalf of clients with social service organizations, governmental agencies, and other third parties to obtain needed services, benefits, etc.
- Assist with and facilitate evening tenants' rights workshops for program participants and the community-at-large.
- Assist with assembling motions for filling.
- Miscellaneous administrative duties as needed, including data entry and maintaining updated case notes and daily post-office run.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Other duties: Identify, advocate and/or initiate building wide repair resolution in conjunction with tenant organizers.
- Minimum of 2 years working in a legal office setting
- Knowledge of NYC Housing Court, entitlements and rental assistance programs
- Spanish fluency required
- Experience working in non-profit organizations and commitment to social justice
- Excellent communication skills and ability to advocate
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
- Entrepreneurial spirit, ability to problem solve and build relationships
Bachelor’s degree required
Paralegal Certificate preferred
March 23, 2018
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefits:
- Accident, Disability and Specified Disease (Cancer) Insurance:
- Pension Plan:
- Tax-Deferred Annuity
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Commuter Benefits Plan (CBP)
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holidays: The RiseBoro observes 12 holidays, annually
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish Fluency Required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send Cover Letter and Resume to Kesha Jagdeo, Director of Empowerment Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org