6703 Germantown Ave.
The Managing Director (MD) will work closely with the Executive Director (ED) to successfully lead and manage Mt. Airy USA (MAUSA) according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors (Board). As one of the highest-ranking employees in the organization, the MD will have direct oversight and responsibility for MAUSA’s administrative and programmatic functions.
- Assist the ED in working with the Board to develop a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Provide support to Board development efforts, including recruitment, self-evaluation, and fundraising.
- In addition to the Board President and ED, act as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Represent the organization at community and industry activities to enhance the organization’s profile.
Development/Fundraising Planning & Management
- Provide direct oversight of the organization’s development.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of MAUSA’s annual development strategy.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of MAUSA’s fundraising events, donor cultivation program, Board giving, and fundraising appeals.
Communications/Marketing Planning & Management
- Provide direct oversight of the organization’s communication.
- Work with the Communications Specialist and ED to create MAUSA’s overall communications strategy.
- Oversee and approve the creation and dispersal of all MAUSA communications.
Human Resources Planning & Management
- Work with the ED to develop MAUSA’s annual staffing plan.
- Initiate and oversee MAUSA’s annual performance review process.
- Initiate and oversee the annual process for creating MAUSA personnel development plans.
- Manage creation of job descriptions and posting of new positions for hire, and oversee the hiring and onboarding processes for all new MAUSA employees and interns.
- Ensure MAUSA compliance with related workplace law.
Information Technology Planning & Management
- Work with the ED to develop and evaluate MAUSA’s annual information technology (IT) plan.
- Work directly with IT providers to ensure MAUSA is receiving contracted services.
- Oversee the evaluation and planning for technology use and replacement.
- Oversee MAUSA data management and collection needs, especially related to the program evaluation and business planning processes.
Program Management & Evaluation
- Work with ED to provide support, oversight, management, and strategic vision for MAUSA’s core programmatic areas: Housing Counseling, Real Estate Development, Community Programs, and Business Services.
- Work with established, or create and refine as needed, program outcomes, outputs, and indicators to evaluate the performance and effectiveness of MAUSA’s program areas.
- Oversee data collection and reporting related to program performance.
Community Relations and Other Responsibilities
- Communicate with stakeholders (such as East Mt. Airy Neighbors, West Mt. Airy Neighbors, the Mt. Airy Business Improvement District, and others) to keep them informed of the work of the organization.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve MAUSA’s goals.
- Work with the ED to oversee the planning, implementation, execution, and evaluation of special projects.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- University degree required, master’s degree preferred.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles related to non-profit organizations.
- Knowledge of human resources management.
- Knowledge of standard development/fundraising practices for tax-exempt organizations.
- Knowledge of program evaluation and management for tax-exempt organizations.
- Knowledge of project management practices.
- Five or more years of progressive management experience in a non-profit or similar organization.
Mt. Airy USA cultivates the growth and flourishing of our community. By joining us, you will engage in truly meaningful work: work that seeks to strengthen local schools; work that helps individuals and families purchase their first home--or stay in it when they experience hardship; work that improves the the physical infrastructure of our neighborhood; work that helps entrepreneurs develop and local businesses thrive; and work that helps us connect neighbors with one another. You will be an integral part our efforts to deepen the longstanding tradition of making Mt. Airy a diverse and welcoming place to call home.
Minimum Education Required