Full Time Contract
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Democratic Republic of the Congo
The Carter Center is guided by a fundamental commitment to promote human rights, alleviate human suffering, enhance freedom and democracy, and improve health conditions. The Center seeks a highly qualified, motivated and energetic consultant with extensive experience conducting voter registry audits with civil society organizations to serve as a short-term Voter Registry Audit (VRA) Consultant in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
TCC’s overarching goal in DRC is to promote accountability, transparency and respect for human rights through strengthening the capacities of both civil society actors and government institutions. In 2007, TCC created the Human Rights House (HRH) in Kinshasa as a vehicle to build a vibrant citizenry to hold the government accountable. Following involvement in the 2011 Presidential and Legislative elections in the DRC, the Center has been working closely with local Congolese CSOs to strengthen their capacity to advance a more credible electoral process based on democratic elections standards. With the conclusion of voter registration in the DRC, TCC is preparing to support local civil society in conducting a voter registry audit.
Working with the Center in the DRC, the VRA Consultant will be primarily responsible for designing and implementing the VRA exercise with citizen observers. This person will work in close consultation with the DRC Citizen Observation Program Manager to provide guidance and training to the Center’s partner on conducting a list-to-people and people-to-list audit of the completed Congolese voter registry. This position will be based in Kinshasa, but may require travel to the provinces. The activity is presently scheduled for implementation as early as April, 2018
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
The qualified candidate will have all or most of the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 10 years’ practical experience working with election observation, election implementation, and/or civil society;
- Demonstrated experience conducting voter registry audits in line with standard methodology, including list-to-people and people-to-list field tests;
- Thorough understanding of the political context in the DRC;
- Excellent written and spoken French, with a working knowledge of English and local languages being an added advantage;
- Excellent analytical and report writting skills;
- Excellent training, facilitation and communication skills; and
- Results driven, able to work within a dynamic cultural team under pressure and to meet required deadline.
Under the supervision of the Citizen Observation Program Manager, the primary responsibilities of the SBO Consultant will be as follows:
- Design /development of the Voter Registry Audit sample;
- Development of checklists and/or additional materials for the training and activity;
- Training and mentoring local partner on implementing a VRA (including people-to-list and list-to-people field tests);
- Identifying sample for field and computer tests;
- Monitoring and analyzing the implementation of the VRA;
- Provide guidance to local partner on analyzing data collected through VRA and their development of a public report and recommendations; and
- Any other duties associated with the implementation of a VRA that may be assigned.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and spoken French, with a working knowledge of English and local languages being an added advantage
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All applicants must submit their updated CVs, letter of motivation, and contact information for three referees via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE INCLUDE “VRA Consultant” IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR APPLICATION. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. No direct personal communication is permitted; applicants who engage in this will automatically be disqualified.