3220 16th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
YouthBuild Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YouthBuild PCS prepares students for post secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YouthBuild PCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low-income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
The Head of School reports to the Board of Trustees and is responsible for the entire operation, and success, of the school. The Head of School will directly manage a leadership team comprised of academic, vocational, student support, operations, and transition staff. S/he is ultimately responsible for the entire staff.
Academic Leadership and School Culture
The Head of School holds the responsibility, accountability, and authority for the school’s overall performance and success in achieving key targets and goals. The position is also responsible for ensuring the school’s long-term sustainability. The Head of School must demonstrate a deep understanding of issues affecting education, especially alternative, career and technical, and adult education; formulate strategic plans and goals; set priorities in the context of community, student and staff needs; and ensure an overall culture of high expectations, openness, and collaboration in accordance with the school’s mission and goals. The Head of School must put in place the people and the systems that will nurture, support and strengthen the school’s mission. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Be accountable for continuous improvement on each element of the Public Charter School Board’s (PCSB) Performance Management Framework;
- Ensure that the school meets and exceeds its Charter Goals and Achievement Expectations;
- Continuously diagnose the gaps between the school’s current performance versus where it aspires to be, and ensure that strategies and practices are implemented to understand and close these gaps;
- Lead a dynamic professional learning community of teachers, construction staff, student support and transition staff, and operations team members that embraces accountability and outstanding student results;
- With the support of key staff, implement and administer the assessment system and equip staff to use student performance data to set achievement targets, strengthen instruction and improve student outcomes;
- Partner with the Board of Trustees to facilitate academic prioritization and strategic planning.
The Head of School holds ultimate responsibility for all of the school’s finances, fundraising goals, operations and human resources. This individual must ensure that YouthBuild PCS remains in strong financial standing and that the school is in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and requirements. S/he must delegate and empower at appropriate organizational levels; secure and allocate human and material resources; develop and manage the school budget; and maintain accurate fiscal records. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee Director of Operation’s management of finances, facility, operations, and HR; ensure effective oversight of the school’s $2.8M+ budget and financial accounting systems, including annual budgeting process, cash flow, and financial reporting for internal and external audiences; human resources and personnel policies; recruiting, hiring, and strategically assigning, and retaining exceptional teachers and staff;
- Ensure effective oversight of all data systems; provide support to the Director of Operations, Data Manager, and team to oversee and continue to improve 1) internal student information and learning management systems, and 2) external reporting and data management systems;
- Coach, supervise, and evaluate leadership team members;
- Coach, supervise and evaluate instructional staff through informal classroom visits, regular classroom observations, pre and post observation conferences, lesson plan review, and a written evaluation for each instructional staff member;
- Work cooperatively with leadership staff to coach, supervise, and evaluate student support, transitions, construction, and operations staff members;
- Ensure that the annual fundraising target is met; Supervise the Director of Operation’s development and reporting efforts;
- Develop and maintain relationships with philanthropic, business, and public sectors to increase awareness of the school and increase its donor base within a competitive nonprofit (specifically charter school) funding environment; oversee relationships with various construction and related partners, the Department of Labor, the Office of the State Superintendent of Education, YouthBuild USA, and other external supporters
- Ensure the school’s compliance with the Public Charter School Board (PCSB), Office of the State Superintendent (OSSE), Middles States Accreditation (MSA), all federal and local laws, contractual obligations, and donor restrictions.
Communications and Community Relations
The Head of School is the primary external champion for YouthBuild PCS and must represent and advocate for the school in various settings. The Head of School is also responsible for ensuring accuracy and consistency in the school’s messages, both internally and externally. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Represent the school as a leader of DC’s education community in all advocacy efforts (e.g., legislative efforts to sustain and improve charter school/adult education funding) as well as a community leader to maintain support from the local community;
- Build and maintain effective relationships with YouthBuild USA, the Department of Labor, and other external partners.
- Build and maintain effective partnerships with local contractors and others, to ensure sites for community building efforts.
ONBOARDING, TRANSITION AND SUPPORT FOR SUCCESS
In July 2015, the YouthBuild Board of Directors partnered with TenSquare to initiate a bold school improvement initiative, focused on redesigning YouthBuild PCS’ instructional model, streamlining and strengthening operations, and building overall school performance. As part of this partnership, TenSquare provided a Resident Leader to YouthBuild, Andrew Touchette, along with a TenSquare school performance team, who facilitated dramatic improvements in overall school performance. As part of YouthBuild’s long-term partnership with TenSquare, Touchette and team will continue to provide leadership oversight during the 2018-19 school year, along with leadership and charter renewal support through SY 2020-21.
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Previous experience as a Head of School, Principal, or similar executive school leadership position;
- A performance- and outcome-driven approach to school leadership and student learning, with a demonstrated track-record of results;
- Experience coaching school staff to instructional and operational excellence;
- Knowledge of youth-development principles; experience in alternative/opportunity-youth education settings preferred
- Comfort synthesizing and prioritizing data to solve problems and develop strategies to achieve ambitious academic goals;
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytic skills;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and the ability to present information to large groups of adults, cultivate partnerships, and woo supporters;
- Ability to establish a team-building, facilitative rapport with peers, staff, students, parents, and external stakeholders;
- Experience with overseeing fiscal and human resources in a school capacity;
- Experience with local, state, and federal compliance;
- A demonstrated passion for advancing educational opportunities in low-income communities; extensive knowledge of the charter school movement, while extremely valuable, is not required for this position;
- At least three to five years of teaching experience, preferred;
- A genuine commitment to YouthBuild principles and approach to education;
- An advanced degree in K-12 school administration, curriculum & instruction, or a related field with strong academic preparation is preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
YouthBuild PCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not allow discrimination with respect to employment or any of the terms or conditions of employment because of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status or religion. Competitive salary and benefits (commensurate with experience).