431 East Fayette Street
Position Title: Accountant
Reports to: Controller
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
Position Description Summary: The Accountant for the Central New York Community Foundation (“CNYCF”) is responsible for working inter-departmentally to maintain the accuracy of the General Ledger as it relates to the various fund types held at CNYCF. This position administers scholarship, grant and expense processes for funds held by CNYCF, as well as staff matching grants and other projects. Responsibilities also include general fund management to support questions and needs both internally and externally. The Accountant serves as the primary point of contact for questions regarding scholarship administration. The position is highly process oriented – requiring an individual who can prioritize and multi-task, while maintaining a high level of customer service. It also requires an individual who can identify and offer solutions to isolated and systemic problems.
- Scholarship Administration: Administers scholarship funds ensuring compliance with State and Federal guidelines and implementation of Foundation policies. Manages Say Yes to Education program distributions and communications with Syracuse and National Say Yes staff to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Designated Grant Administration: Oversees research and verification all grantee organizations, including issues related to IRS compliance guidelines. Makes recommendations on approval or declination of annual grant payments based on research.
- Accounting Accuracy and Acumen: Ensures accuracy between accounting software, grants management software, and financial statements by performing timely reconciliations and reporting out to various departments. Reviews all grants payable items entered by the Finance Associate.
- Banking: Processes incoming checks, such as contributions, grants and other payments, ensures they are coded to the proper fund, also initiates ACH payments. Troubleshoots issues with remote deposit, credit card processing, and online bank portal.
- Accounting Information Systems Management: Creates and maintains fund records, ensuring proper communication between the GrantedGE (GE) and Financial Edge (FE) databases. Serves as Administrator for GE and FE and troubleshoots issues with software vendors.
- Reporting: Prepares audit schedules for CNYCF’s year-end financial audit and preparation of 990 as needed. Prepares quarterly reports on granting activities for Board review. Review 1099’s sent to vendors, facilitate preparation by the Finance Fellow.
- Annual Spending Amounts: Performs annual calculation of spending amounts from endowment funds and assists in communication to fundholders and recipient organizations.
- Philanthropy Center Leases: Administers lease agreements with tenants including renewals and rate increases.
- Departmental Coordination: Communicates regularly with all departments on donor activities, special needs, issues and concerns. Works closely with Development and Communications Departments to address customer service needs and concerns, and with Grants and Community Initiatives staff members to ensure timeliness and coordination of grant distributions associated with many different funds and projects.
- Additional Projects: Provides research and analysis on other projects as requested by the Leadership Team and other staff. As needed, provides back up assistance to Finance Associate and Controller. Analyzes, recommends, writes and implements changes to policies and procedures related to department workflow and job functions.
- General: As appropriate, works as a member of interdepartmental teams to ensure effective and efficient CNYCF operations. At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with supervisors and coworkers. Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
- Experience: 3-5 years experience working in an accounting position.
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or equivalent.
- Customer Service Skills: Superior customer service skills to external and internal constituents. Excellent listening skills, follow through and problem-solving abilities.
- Communication Skills: Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Organizational Skills: Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to prioritize work effectively and adjust to multiple demands.
- Technology Skills: Proficiency in computerized accounting systems, mastery of MS Office applications. Knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge, Financial Edge and GrantedGE software preferred.
- General: Highly motivated and self-confident, with the ability to work independently, take initiative, participate as an effective team member and follow tasks through to completion.
How to Apply: Please submit a letter of interest and resume, which must include salary history and requirements, to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until August 8, 2018 or the position is filled.
This description should not be construed to contain every function or responsibility that may be required to be performed by an incumbent in this job classification. Incumbents are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Effective date: July 19, 2018
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a letter of interest and resume, which must include salary history and requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.