4938 Central Ave. Suite 101
Join our progressive, multicultural, passionate team of professionals! The Latin American Coalition is seeking a bilingual Staff Attorney to join the Immigrant Integration Center (IIC)’s Immigration Legal Clinic (ILC).
The ILC offers affordable legal services and low-cost representation for Charlotte's low-income immigrant community, regardless of immigration status or nationality. The Latin American Coalition is a community of Latin Americans, immigrants, and allies that promotes full and equal participation of all people in the civic, economic and cultural life of North Carolina through education, celebration and advocacy.
Qualifications & Skills
· J.D. and membership in good standing in the bar of North Carolina (May 2018 graduates taking the July 2018 bar may apply);
· A passion for the mission and vision of the Latin American Coalition;
· Commitment to collaborative teamwork to achieve common goals;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluency speaking, reading and writing in Spanish required;
· Excellent analytical, organizational and project management skills;
· Ability to work with a variety of audiences including: immigrant families, pro bono attorneys, nonprofit service providers and others;
· Experience with immigration law preferred, not required.
STAFF ATTORNEY RESPONSIBILITIES
· Conduct client intake;
· Represent clients in matters such as family petitions, applications for U Visa, VAWA, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), green card renewals, and more;
· Represent clients before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR), and the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA);
· Represent clients in custody hearings relating to SIJS cases;
· Participate in Clinic workshops.
LATIN AMERICAN COALITION TEAM MEMBER
· Contribute to the organization’s mission and vision;
· Participate in organization-wide activities like the Latin American Festival.
· Competitive salary commensurate with experience;
· Paid time off (PTO) and retirement benefits;
· Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Paid time off (PTO), Medical and dental insurance
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in Spanish and English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Position is open until filled, the position will start in early fall 2018.
- Please send resume, references, and cover letter, including your salary requirements, to Jhparis@mylac.org with Immigration Staff Attorney in the subject line
The Latin American Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ people, immigrants, women and people who are differently–abled are strongly encouraged to apply.