CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc.'s mission is to develop and support thriving, stable communities in neighborhoods with a substantial Jewish population. Since 1983, CHAI has increased home ownership and economic stability, increased neighborhood safety and strengthened community associations and public schools in Northwest Baltimore. Our successes wouldn’t be possible without our staff and their commitment to making our community tick.
CHAI believes that Black lives matter. We are committed to fostering a safe, anti-racist environment. Together, through open dialogue, we will continually learn and grow with a goal of achieving a culture that promotes justice and pushes for systemic change. We commit to ensuring that the voices influencing our actions are inclusive and representative. We stand firm in our belief that racial equity is essential to strong community.
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing and Assistance, Inc. has an immediate opening for a full-time experienced Senior Accountant to join the administration team. This person will be responsible for performance of all routine and special assignment relating to transactional accounting and the preparation and communication of reports and analyses.
What You’ll Do (Responsibilities)
- Maintain high degree of working knowledge of applicable funding source regulations and requirements; ensures revenue and expenses are recognized in accordance with GAAP, funding source regulations and internal accounting policies.
- Supervise, train and mentor Staff Accountant; review all journal entries to ensure accuracy.
- Produce financial reports for agency and departments, review and analyze variances; recognize impending issues and initiate communication as needed; collaborate with program management to address changing needs and/or budget variances consistent with program goals and sound financial practices; provide data in user-friendly format.
- Assist in preparation of budgets, including periodic projections and budget revisions.
- Assist in audit and tax preparation, including preparing and submitting documents and schedules for review.
- Document and monitor internal controls.
- Develop budgets for grant applications, provide periodic reports for funders as requested, and work with CFO/COO and VP, Development & Impact on quarterly reconciliation of grant funding programs.
- Prepare quarterly grant billing and quarterly review of Net Asset Roll Forward (NARF) to ensure proper release of grant funds based on program activity associated with grant.
- Review and upload financial reports relating to property operations, working collaboratively with Asset Manager to resolve any issues.
- Work collaboratively with CFO/COO on more complex accounting projects; researches and analyzes technical issues and financial data independently.
- Prepare materials for and attend Finance Committee meetings
What You’ll Need (Minimum Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in accounting, finance or related field
- 3-5 years’ experience in professional accounting; experience working at a nonprofit organization preferred
- Strong understanding of accounting principles, knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- CPA preferred (working toward designation also considered)
- Experience with general ledger systems, full cycle accounting, audit preparation preferred
- Experience working with grants preferred; experience in housing development finance a plus
- Must work well in a fast-paced, team-focused environment
Desired Competencies & Skills:
- Ability to meet deadlines, work independently and handle confidential information
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills with superior attention to detail
- Sound judgement
- Good interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- Receptive to and accepting guidance from others
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Be a valuable team player and supportive colleague
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office suite and comfortable working with various technologies and software
Salary range is approximately $72,000-$75,000. Salary will be based on qualifications and skills.
Electronic submissions are preferred. Position will remain open until filled.
CHAI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
To learn more about CHAI Visit https://chaibaltimore.org/