The New York Women’s Foundation seeks an effective, strategic and experienced Vice President for Finance to oversee its financial operations. Reporting to the President & CEO, the VP, Finance is responsible for developing and overseeing finance, investments, donor-advised funds, other pooled funds and pooled investment funds. The VP, Finance will work closely with President & CEO, the Board of Directors and Finance, Audit and Investment Committees of the Board to develop annual Foundation budgets and revenue estimates; report regularly to the President & CEO and Board of Directors, on financial performance; supervise finance staff; and manage relationships with financial advisors, banks, audit firm and government funders. The VP, Finance will create donor advisory services as well as being a leader in developing for profit and non-profit relationships. The VP, Finance must enjoy managing a hard-working team, working in a fast-paced environment and possess an affinity for issues affecting women and girls. As a member for the Senior Management Team the VP, Finance will participate actively in organization-level planning and decision-making.
- Oversee financial performance of the Foundation. Sets clear objectives and measures performance. Assesses the timelines and accuracy of tasks performed. Monitors process, progress, and results and designs feedback loops into work. Builds a sense of team.
- Develop, along with the President & CEO, financial strategy and plans to support growth.
- Develop annual budgets, along with President & CEO, Senior Management & Finance team and produce expenditure and cash flow reports.
- Oversee all finance department activities, as well as banking relationships.
- Oversee accounting operations and cash, investment, and asset and contract management.
- Prepares all financial statements and reports for President & CEO, Board of Directors, funders and government.
- Forecast revenue, expense and cash flow, and conduct activity-based financial analyses to compliment the Foundation’s operations, program and business plans.
- Ensure that all fiscal practices meet the highest standards of integrity and comply with generally accepted accounting practices and other industry standards.
- Develop donor advisory services and the management therein.
- Working with the Finance & Investment Committee, updates and maintains investment policy and monitors investment management.
- Maintain and improve financial systems to control and safeguard funds and assets of the Foundation.
- Review all policies and recommends and implements improvements around internal controls, workflow, and business process improvements.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and the Foundation Board of Directors; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Oversee audits and proper filing of tax returns and other mandated reports.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Train and supervise staff on fiscal procedures and budget management.
· Bachelor’s degree in related field required, ideally with a MBA/CPA or related degree
· Minimum 12 years of relevant, progressive work experience in a nonprofit or philanthropic foundation setting; 8+ years of financial management experience
· Supervisory experience required
· Strong knowledge of GAAP as applied to nonprofit accounting
· Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, including experience in audit, compliance, contracts, and budget
· Experience with grants management and compliance strongly preferred
· Experience in selection, conversion, implementation of accounting and grants management software
· Experience in oversight of investments, social responsible investing, familiarity with endowments, restricted gifts and donor advised funds
· Experience supervising senior staff and working collaboratively in a management team environment
· Shares commitment to The Foundation’s mission
· Self-starter who demonstrates the highest standards of integrity
· Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
· Strong judgment, analytic reasoning, critical thinking, and written and oral communication skills
· Ability to translate financial concepts to and effectively collaborate with colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
· Ability to develop and implement organizational systems and processes
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, small team environment and in a hands-on position, while taking a collegial approach towards integrating well with a positive and enthusiastic team
Minimum Education Required