Details: Commensurate with experiences
10301 Democracy Lane
The Girls on the Run of NOVA (GOTR NOVA) Volunteer Associate (VA) supports the high-quality implementation of the GOTR and Heart & Sole (H&S) programs at elementary schools, middle schools, and community-based sites throughout Northern Virginia. Program implementation includes the operational logistics for all aspects of program delivery, coach training, program registration procedures, delivery of the GOTR and H&S 10-week curriculum, ongoing site quality monitoring. Additionally, this position works closely with the Director of Programs to deliver coach training, marketing, overall site support according to the GOTR program model, and overall volunteer recruitment and management.
The responsibilities of the VA require a high degree of organizational capacity, flexibility, and demonstrated experience in successfully managing program operations and volunteer relationships. This position requires significant local travel and some evenings and weekends to represent GOTR NOVA throughout Northern Virginia at relevant program-related venues. The VA reports to the Director of Programs.
Areas of Responsibility:
Program Operations & Logistics
- Contribute to the seasonal preparation for all coaches, including confirming registration requirements and coordinating training events (live, virtual, and otherwise).
- Support ongoing, effective communication with coaches and site liaisons and support them as needed throughout the program season
- Support compliance with local policies (school and municipal) that affect the program teams
- Prepare for and help implement seasonal coach logistics and logistics for supply pick-up days
- Support the implementation of seasonal surveys measuring program impact and satisfaction, and recommend improvements
- Work with fellow Program Team members to develop and implement seasonal timeline.
- Monitor Learning Management System for coach training
- Determine and post the materials for online program support on the GOTR NOVA website
- Maintain support and communication with all site personnel responsible for successful implementation of new GOTR and H&S programs during their inaugural season
Coach & Other Volunteer Management
- Oversee the Coach recruitment, placement, and retention practices before, during, and after each 10-week season (approximately 500 each season, 300 veteran and 200 new)
- Contribute to the seasonal on-boarding of all coaches, including conducting background checks and coordinating CPR training
- Distribute policy, marketing, and training materials for coaches on the GOTR NOVA website, through e-mails, and in newsletters
- Maintain ongoing, effective communication with all volunteers. This includes electronic, in person, and phone contact on a regular basis.
- Recruit and screen volunteers for all end-of-season 5K events (approximately 200 each season)
- Send out regular communication with potential and current volunteers highlighting volunteer opportunities for the organization
- Create and implement a plan to recruit new volunteers from a wide range of groups and locations, including but not limited to outreach to corporations, community associations, schools, families, and online sources
- Develop and implement a plan for assuring volunteer quality across all volunteer roles
- Recruit, screen, and train potential volunteers for all other volunteer positions needed within the organization
- Design and conduct orientations that inform volunteers about the mission and objectives of the volunteer program, of GOTR NOVA, and of the particular volunteer assignment
- Ensure appropriate follow-up with volunteers to demonstrate appreciation, answer questions, and maintain a fruitful relationship.
- Coordinate daily with GOTR NOVA staff and external vendors to ensure that volunteers have a meaningful experience
- Coordinate and implement engagement of GOTR NOVA participant Alumni in volunteer opportunities
- Attend regular staff meetings to work closely with all GOTR NOVA staff.
- Ensure maintenance and synthesis of volunteer data systems (including, but not limited to recruitment, assignments, etc.)
- Attend to inquiries regarding coaches, field support volunteers, and general program volunteers, as needed.
- Work with the staff to produce the most relevant information to our volunteers and coaches.
- Track volunteer recruitment and retention
- Maintain strong relationships with parents, coaches, volunteers, site staff, with a customer service orientation.
- Track budgets for overall coach and volunteer management.
- Supervise and manage the Volunteer Management Intern in the program department
- Support the Director of Programs and GOTR NOVA with additional tasks otherwise not specified.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- BA or BS in a related field
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills to ensure effective interactions with diverse individuals, with all levels of the organization and with the public
- Must be well organized, self-directed and a team player
- Experience working with Google Applications, Microsoft Office Suite, and a background or willingness to learn Mac systems
- Must be able to travel throughout assigned area, possess own car and a valid driver's license, and be able to work a flexible schedule which includes some evenings and weekends
- Passion for the mission of Girls on the Run
- Experience in operations and/or administrative roles
- Experience in volunteer management
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with youth development-oriented non-profit organizations or agencies
- Proficiency in Spanish speaking skills
- Strong working knowledge of Northern Virginia region
- Familiarity with LMS and CMS systems
- 80% of health insurance premiums
- Vision and dental insurance available
- Life insurance, short term & long term disability
- Eligible to participate in 401k plan after 3 months of full-time employment
- Flexible work environment, including a weekly telecommute day
- 15 days paid time off to start
- Office closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, plus 9 additional national holidays paid
Minimum Education Required