32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, with over 163,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
Reporting to the 32BJ Multi State Deputy Political Director, the Political Director for New England is based in Boston and is responsible for all aspects of the Union’s political work in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the Multi State Deputy Political Director, the New England District Area Leader, and Policy Director to develop and implement public policy and political agenda throughout the region;
- Plan and coordinate political field activities, lobby visits, phone banking and events for our public policy campaigns at the, city, county, state and federal level in MA, RI and NH;
- Supervise New England Political team;
- Serve as liaison with Elected Officials and their staff and the Union;
- Mobilize, train and educate new member leaders and activists for legislative and electoral activity;
- Plan and supervise electoral program for local, state and federal elections;
- Identify opportunities and drive organizational engagement in ongoing legislative and issue campaigns;
- Support contract and organizing campaigns, including rallies, press events, legislative opportunities and targeted owner activity;
- Build the Union’s capacity through grassroots political fundraising drives;
- Oversee and carry out regional activity for federal legislative campaigns;
- Coordinate the Union’s political work with the SEIU State Council and other labor and community allies;
- Provide political, electoral, legislative and fundraising updates and reports to Union Officials, Leaders and rank and file members;
- Create and lead political trainings for member leaders.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in labor, political, or community organizing;
- Ability to design and implement powerful and effective political programs;
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislative processes, particularly in Massachusetts;
- Experience working on electoral campaigns and managing field programs;
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with stakeholders across the Union;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings, weekends and to travel within New England and New York when needed.
32BJ SEIU offers a competitive salary, including employer-paid health coverage for full-time staff and their qualified dependents.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to HR@seiu32bj.org, with Subject “Political Director-NE”
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.