ORGANIZATIONAL SUMMARY: Young Women Empowered (Y-WE) delivers creative, innovative and transformative empowerment programs for diverse groups of young women* in the greater Seattle region. We envision a society rooted in social justice, where all young women* live their truth, achieve their dreams, and change our world. Founded in 2010, we have grown from serving 50 young and adult women* annually to serving over 750 annually.
WHOM WE SERVE: Y-WE’s mentorship and empowerment programs serve diverse groups of young women*, ages 13-26, along with adult women* mentors, volunteers and participants in the greater Seattle area. Each year, we directly serve 700+ girls and women* and benefit 2,000+ community members. Of current Y-WE youth, 70% are first or second generation immigrants; 85% are of color; and 90% are from low-income backgrounds. Y-WE is majority women-of-color-led, including our Staff, Board and Youth Leadership Council.
* those who identify as girls or women or people who were assigned female at birth.
NATURE CONNECTIONS PROGRAM COORDINATOR JOB SUMMARY: The Nature Connections Program Coordinator is responsible for planning, coordinating, and facilitating outdoor education programs and environmental justice-focused activities. They manage program logistics and directly facilitate a wide range of activities with participants, including hiking, snowshoeing, camping, etc. They actively support youth in building confidence, emotional intelligence, positive relationships with peers and mentors, and leadership skills through connection with nature. They will also help participants grow in their understanding of racial, social, and environmental justice, and explore environmental changemaking solutions.
- Skilled at planning and facilitating a variety of outdoor experiences with diverse groups of youth and adults
- Socially and emotionally intelligent with excellent relationship-building skills
- Attentive to detail and risk management
- Flexible and able to manage the complex logistics of programming with many moving parts
- Committed to supporting Y-WE’s mission, holding racial, social and environmental justice at the heart of their work
Program Logistics and Facilitation
- Develop, coordinate, and facilitate Y-WE Nature Connections programming, which may include hiking, rock-climbing, backpacking, kayaking, cross-country skiing, and more.
- Manage program logistics, including procuring appropriate gear and supplies, transportation, food, and permits.
- Develop relationships and coordinate with community partners and host sites involved with programming and funding.
- Oversee risk management of Nature Connections programming, including first aid and safety supplies.
- Steward relationships with participants and families, overseeing communication, paperwork, sharing opportunities, etc.
- Work closely with the Mentor Manager to support and manage adult volunteer mentors.
- Work with the Y-WE Grow Manager and Program Operations Manager on survey administration, data tracking, paperwork collection, and grant reporting.
- Work with the Y-WE Grow Manager and Finance Operations Manager on budgets, expense reporting, and other financial aspects of running programs.
- Work with the Co-Executive Directors, Y-WE Grow Manager, and other staff to vision and plan future Nature Connections programming.
Partnerships and Community Engagement
- Maintain Y-WE Nature Connections partnerships with key community partners involved with programming
- When appropriate, advise Y-WE youth and staff on environmental advocacy initiatives and projects.
- Represent Y-WE and the Y-WE Nature Connections program at community events focused on the environment, stewardship, environmental justice, and advocacy, etc
General Program and Organizational Support
- Collaborate with programs team around Environmental Justice and education offerings and other programmatic and logistical needs specified by the organizers for large community programs - such as Y-WE STEM Exploration Day, Career Day, and Day of Wellness.
- Collaborate with the Marketing, Communications, Development, and Grants teams around Nature Connections fundraising, recruitment and outreach.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Education and Professional Background.
- Experience developing, implementing, and overseeing nature-based outdoor and environmental justice-focused programs
- Two or more years leading nature-based/wilderness activities with youth
- Excellent facilitation skills working with diverse groups of youth
- Experience leading multi-day overnight outdoor programs; Experience managing and leading youth backpacking trips preferred
- Experience and training in managing risk with large groups in a variety of outdoor settings
- Significant awareness/training around issues of equity and intersectionality. A commitment to racial justice, gender justice, environmental justice and transforming systems of oppression is required.
- Able to recruit, engage, and develop relationships with diverse youth and families through culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate practices. Ability to speak a language other than English may be helpful.
Certificates and Licenses. Note: Qualified candidates who have not completed all trainings/certifications listed here could complete these trainings upon being hired. (Y-WE will provide professional development resources, as needed, to obtain the required certifications and trainings).
- Wilderness First Responder certification
- CPR/First Aid certification
- PYE Creative Facilitation Trainings 1 and 2
- Current valid Driver's License and a driving record with no more than one minor violation and speeding violation of more than 20mph over the limit.
- Pass Washington State criminal background check.