Long Island City
NYC Outward Bound Schools transforms schools and changes lives by bringing our educational approach to NYC’s young people and their public schools, with a focus on students from educationally underserved communities. Our educational approach joins together demanding and engaging learning, community, and character in ways that lead to high achievement for all.
We operate a citywide network of public schools in partnership with the NYC Department of Education that fully embody our educational approach. Our Network Schools use the national EL Education model, which is rooted in Outward Bound, and also feature intensive supports around college access and preparation, as well as leadership and character-building programming for students. We also bring our approach and our most effective and replicable practices to a growing number of public schools and youth-serving organizations outside of our network through our Adventure & Team Building programs and our Select Strategies professional learning services.
Since we were founded more than 30 years ago, we have helped to bring out the best in more than 100,000 students, preparing them for success in college, careers, and citizenship, while simultaneously working to redefine what educational excellence looks like in our city’s public schools.
Join our highly collaborative, five-person Advancement team and together we’ll work to surpass our $3M+ annual fundraising goal and boost our organization’s visibility. As the Development Associate you’ll report to the Director of Development and take the reins in managing incoming gifts and donor information and the administration for our department. We’re in an exciting period as we transition to a new cloud-based donor management platform and want someone with a passion for technology and data systems who will help us make the most of this new platform. Our ideal Development Associate is a go-getter who asks questions, connects dots, and is super detail-oriented but can also drive our team to meet deadlines. We are driven by our mission to ensure that all NYC’s young people have access to a high quality education and are looking for someone who shares that passion and is excited by the opportunity to connect with our schools and students.
- Oversee, help implement, and leverage new and innovative donor database/ communications system to help us accurately report on our progress, segment our donor lists, and stay on track to meet goals.
- Manage all gift entry and acknowledgment, ensuring that our data is spotless and that every donor, at whatever level, is receiving swift, meaningful, and personalized recognition for their contribution.
- Help identify trends and opportunities in our data and help us execute on them.
- Follow-up with donors on pledges and other needs.
- Coordinate mailings and other donor/Board outreach.
- Provide support for key events such as our annual Gala and College March.
- Research and brainstorm new donor prospects.
- Manage grants calendar for foundation, major donor and gala funding driving our team forward on deadlines.
- Contribute to grant proposals and reports.
- 1-3+ years of professional experience and eager to be involved in all aspects of a fundraising office.
- Experience with writing/editing and database administration.
- Prior experience in fundraising is a plus.
Professional and Personal Characteristics
· Ability to work independently, prioritize, plan, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
· Experience with cloud-based data systems and fluency with technology
· Outstanding organization, judgment, and problem-solving capabilities
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
· Interest in seeing how his/her work connects to “big picture” department goals
· Sense of humor and desire to work on a collaborative team
Ideal candidates will share the belief that:
- All people are capable of doing great things when they are challenged and supported appropriately.
- Learning happens best in a community that actively encourages and practices respect, empathy, safety, inclusion, and diversity.
- Development of character is as important as the development of intellect, and that the two go hand in hand.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- We offer medical, dental, and vision coverage as well as HRA/FSA/Transit accounts, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match after one year, sick leave, and generous PTO.
NYC Outward Bound Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination against, and
harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender,
pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status,
military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other
category which may be protected under applicable state or federal law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should upload a cover letter and resume via our applicant tracking system.
No phone calls please. We appreciate all responses, but due to the high volume of resumes received, we
can only contact those applicants whose qualifications best match the position requirements.