4350 Fairfax Drive
National Association of State Departments of Agriculture
Date: August 28, 2018
Title: Manager, Communications
Position Type: Permanent Full-time
Position Available: Immediately
Organizational Supervisor: Director, Communications
Requirements for Application: A letter of interest, resume, and a list of three references to “Manager, Communications” at email@example.com.
NASDA grows and enhances agriculture by forging partnerships and creating consensus to achieve sound policy outcomes between state departments of agriculture, the federal government, and stakeholders.
The Manager, Communications is responsible for managing the external and internal communications for the association through press releases, letters, weekly newsletters, the NASDA website, and social media. This position will report to the Director, Communications.
· Lead communications initiatives by developing content to maximize the impact to NASDA and the advancement of our mission.
· Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with key media relations representatives and public relations professionals.
· Lead development of NASDA’s weekly public-facing newsletter, NASDA News.
· Serve as the member liaison responsible for onboarding new members, including creating and updating member and state staff web user accounts.
· Manage NASDA’s distribution lists.
· Prepare and distribute content for social media, press releases, email communications, the NASDA website, and other communications channels including NASDA’s News and Member Update.
· Develop website branding, graphics, and signage for NASDA meetings and other regional events.
SKLLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
· Minimum of (2) years of experience in a communications role.
· Exceptional organizational skills and prioritization skills. Ability to effectively manage projects in a fast-paced work environment with competing deadlines and priorities.
· Exceptional critical thinking skills. Ability to exercise sound judgement and resolve problems.
· Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong track record with positioning organizations to achieve desired outcomes in a competitive communications environment.
· Superior interpersonal and relationship building skills. Demonstrated ability to work effectively across all levels of an organization.
· Moderate experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, introductory experience with HTML.
· Experience with newsletter development and distribution in MailChimp
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, communications or a related field is required.
· An understanding of agriculture and NASDA is preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND/OR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
· Attendance at occasional meetings outside of the office and in the Washington, DC area.
· Occasional travel.
· Physical ability to work on a computer at a desk for long periods.
· Physical ability to occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
Full benefits available with position
Minimum Education Required