121 6th Avenue
The Independent Commission on NYC Criminal Justice Reform seeks a highly organized and resourceful Program Associate to assist the Commission and its Executive Director with research, outreach, and administrative functions.
The Independent Commission is a small, team-based organization that works closely with partner agencies. The Program Associate will report directly to, and work closely with, the Commission’s Executive Director.
This is a unique opportunity to be a part of an organization that in two years has established itself as an authority on reforming New York City’s criminal justice system and closing the City’s massive Rikers Island jail complex.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide general research assistance in connection with Commission projects
· Maintain the Commission’s website and help build the Commission’s social media presence
· Perform administrative functions relating to financial matters, scheduling, and project logistics
· Track criminal justice developments in New York City and state, including by attending City Council and Board of Correction hearings and other criminal justice related events
· Help coordinate and plan meetings and special events
· Draft and edit correspondence, communications, and presentations
· Assist with grant writing and fundraising
· Oversee grant implementation and ensure that reporting requirements and deliverables are met
Skills and Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent educational or experiential background; one to two years of criminal justice or public interest experience preferred
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
· Strong written and verbal skills
· Entrepreneurial attitude
· Passion for work that serves the public interest
· Demonstrated interest in criminal justice reform; familiarity with the NYC criminal justice system is a plus
· Fluency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Strong interpersonal and team play skills and a good sense of humor
Minimum Education Required