Details: $19.00 - $22.00/hour, depending on experience. 40 hours/week. This is a, non-exempt position.
317 17th Avenue South
Posting Date: November 7, 2018
Closing Date: November 29, 2018*
Reports to: Development and Communications Director
*Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Founded in 1994, Casa Latina is a vibrant immigrant worker rights organization that empowers low-wage Latino immigrant workers to move from economic insecurity to economic prosperity and to participate fully in our democracy. A nonprofit organization, Casa Latina provides educational and economic opportunities to men and women eager to better their lives and provide for their families. These opportunities include day labor employment through Casa Latina’s worker center, English language classes, workplace safety and job skills trainings, leadership development, and community organizing around issues of public policy that affect immigrant workers. In addition to directly serving the Latino community in King County, Casa Latina has national impact as a model day worker center whose programs, curricula, and operations have been emulated by worker centers throughout the country.
The Communications Associate helps tell the story of Casa Latina’s programs and impact to a broad audience through a variety of channels in order to build appreciation and understanding of Casa Latina’s work and raise Casa Latina’s profile in the community—with a primary goal of inspiring new, continued, and increased philanthropic support of the organization. The Communications Associate will have strong written, graphic, and strategic communications skills and will feel comfortable carrying a wide range of projects from conception to completion. Collaborating with the Development Director, this individual will play a key support role in the development of communications strategy for the organization and will be responsible for the execution of that strategy. In addition to communications that cultivate and steward a donor audience, this position will execute communications directed towards other key audiences, including employers of day workers, volunteers, activists, grant makers, and worker-members. The Communications Associate will also support general development activities as a member of a donor-centered development team.
- Manage and execute production of printed materials, including developing concept and strategy, collecting content (interview, photos, etc.) writing content, designing, copy-editing, and coordinating with outside vendors. Materials may include newsletters, brochures, direct mail packages, annual reports, and promotional items.
- Manage website content and work with outside web developer on edits and updates as needed.
- Plan strategy of email communications. Craft and distribute e-communications to Casa Latina constituents. Track and report on email performance.
- Manage communications activities for Casa Latina’s annual fundraising gala. This includes working with videographer to create annual video; identifying and coordinating speakers; managing evening program development; and creating all marketing collateral (e.g. invitations, programs, décor.)
- Manage social media activity and create original content for the organization in a strategic manner to advance awareness, appreciation, and support of Casa Latina’s mission.
- Support planning of fundraising events. This includes design of printed collateral, e-promotions, and event materials; assisting with messaging; and staffing events.
- Manage media relations. Produce and distribute media alerts and press releases. Track coverage and maintain current source list of media contacts. Cultivate and strengthen relationships with key journalists.
- In collaboration with program and development colleagues, support full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundations and corporate sources. These activities include prospect research on funding institutions, creating persuasive writing for letters of intent, grant proposals, and other types of solicitations, and fostering relationships with granting organizations.
- Plan and execute strategy for collecting stories and photos of Casa Latina worker-members.
- Develop and maintain communications guide for organization, educate staff on its usage, and maintain brand and messaging consistency in all external communications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with social media and digital communications
- Proven graphic design skills
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, DSLR cameras, and copy writing/editing/proofing. In short, an eye for graphic design and photography and an ear for storytelling.
- Comfortable receiving and building upon constructive, critical feedback
- Ability to manage multiple projects with an eye for detail and quality
- Experience working with and among the Latino community is preferred
- Passion for Casa Latina’s mission and demonstrated commitment to social justice
Generous benefits, including medical, dental, and retirement. (Retirement plan begins after one year of employment.)
This position is part of the staff bargaining unit represented by OPEIU Local 8.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency/fluency in English and Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should send 1) a resume, and 2) a cover letter describing their qualifications and interest in this specific position. References will be requested for short-listed candidates. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Associate.” No phone calls please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Casa Latina is an affirmative action employer. People of color, women, immigrants, people with disabilities, people of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and people with low-income backgrounds are encouraged to apply.