Details: Salary and benefits package is competitive
6856 Eastern Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Breakthrough Montessori PCS
Breakthrough Montessori Public Charter School serves students in PK3 - 1st grade in multi-age classrooms using the Montessori method. The goal of our school is to foster independent, self-directed, curious lifelong learners, through a educational philosophy that is student-centered and hinges on respect for all students as individuals who love to learn and grow. Our mission is to bring the Montessori philosophy to populations that usually do not have access, and equity and inclusion work is at the center of everything we do.
We are seeking a registered behavioral tech beginning on August 15th for the 2018-19 school year. The tech will support students with ASD or other behavioral challenges within the general education primary (age 3-6) or elementary (age 6-9) classrooms. All classrooms use the Montessori method to guide instruction and classroom management. We are seeking an individual that excels at building relationships with students and encouraging student engagement while treating students with respect.
The registered behavior tech will work as part of a teaching team including a lead guide and assistant, and will work in conjunction with special education teachers, service providers, and the director of student support. Montessori experience is desired but not necessary to apply for the position. Training in the delivery of Special Education in a Montessori context will be provided. The position is an 11-month position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist lead teacher in supporting a student or students with disabilities within the general education classroom.
- Develop and implement the classroom social skills instruction and behavior plan implementation in collaboration with the lead teacher under the supervision of the BCBA
- Contribute to Social/Emotional progress reports and IEP development under the supervision of the BCBA
- Assess student progress regularly and regularly collect data to track students’ progress.
- Collaborate with teachers, related service providers, student support coordinator, the director of curriculum and instruction, and parents to plan for student needs.
- Implement behavior plans with fidelity.
- Contribute productively to the school as a whole.
- Attend and participate in school events outside of regular school hours as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be a credentialed registered behavior technician or have successfully completed the 40 hour RBT training course and competency exam and be able to pass the RBT exam within 60 days.
- Have 1 year experience implementing ABA based interventions in the home or school setting.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of behavioral principles and instructional strategies for students with autism and developmental disabilities.
- Interest in Montessori and learning about the method and the materials.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions; ability and good judgment to take initiative to modify activities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with general education and special education colleagues, parents and community
- Passion for public schools.
- Adherence to a high level of professional and ethical standards.
- Deep respect for students as individuals and a desire to work within a student-centered school
Compensation and Benefits
Breakthrough Montessori PCS offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Job Type: Full-time
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. Please highlight any previous experience with Montessori, ABA, and BIPs, as well as outlining any relevant training you have received.