2830 South Central Avenue
A Place Called Home is seeking a dedicated Garden Aide & Instructor
Under the direction of the Nutrition & Urban Ag Program Lead and Garden Coordinator, the Garden Aide & Instructor will work closely with the agency’s Garden Coordinator to actively support a robust educational and experiential Garden-to Table program through cultivating the agency’s various garden sites, supporting weekly member classes, and hosting special food and gardening related events.
In addition, the Garden Aide & Instructor will not only actively build and maintain green spaces but also play a meaningful role in creating opportunities to expand local community engagement and fresh food access through ongoing urban agriculture and nutrition initiatives.
Department: Nutrition and Urban Agriculture
Reports to: Garden Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-exempt-20-40 hours per week
Hourly Rate: $13.50-$14.50/hour DOE
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Nutrition & Urban Ag staff members to create and teach multiple weekly lessons relating to gardening, nutrition and healthy eating to members ages 8-21
- Play a leading role in maintaining the agency’s various urban ag sites (both floral and edible) under the supervision of the Garden Coordinator
- Assist in expanding the Agency’s floral and edible growing spaces and initiatives
- Follow garden maintenance guidelines, including planning, planting, cultivation, and harvesting of both edible and floral crops, and other tasks as required
- Coordinate with department staff to host recurring harvest, sorting and distribution activities in APCH kitchen and garden sites
- Oversee departments’ ongoing volunteer days and special event as needed
- Help establish and oversee new department initiative such as garden clubs, harvest dinners and floral programming
- Support the planning and execution of APCH community events both within the department and within the agency as a whole.
- Assist in Sunday food forward pick ups
- Help in the implementation of state and federal food programs as directed
- Perform other tasks as assigned
To perform this important job successfully, the Garden Aide and Instructor must be able to fulfill all of the elements of the Job Description to the highest standard, and be able to work well with colleagues in a high energy, collaborative environment with open communications. The ideal candidate will embrace the APCH culture of a learning organization and strive to constantly improve upon systems and services for the benefit of employees and our constituents; and will be demonstrably committed to his/her own ongoing personal and professional development. All employees are expected to contribute to ongoing growth and improvement in their departments via excellent job performance. Additionally, you are expected to speak up if you become aware of deficiencies and needs; and to offer solutions and make suggestions for improvements in your purview areas. Likewise, because each employee and each department is integral to the entire APCH community, we expect that as you focus on your area, you will also consider the big picture and the overall mission of the agency, and communicate with the appropriate individuals if/when you become aware of problems and/or have suggestions for ways and opportunities to make APCH stronger and better. Together, we can continue to take APCH to even higher levels of excellence and service to the community.
· 2 years experience working with school age youth
· 1 years experience growing flowers
· 2 years experience growing fruits and vegetables
· A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in agriculture, sustainability, conservation or health related fields (preferred)
· Bi-lingual, English/Spanish (Preferred)
· Experience working with native plants (Preferred)
· Valid CA Driver’s license
Physical and Mental Demands
- Able to work in chaotic and high noise level environment typical of a youth center
- Walking, standing required on daily basis
- Sitting and use of hands/vision for computer work
- Independent and able to work alone for long stretches of time when needed
- Lift up to 30 pounds regularly
- Able to communicate and convey accurate information
- Desire and willingness to perform work in the field of urban Agriculture and gardening
- Interest and ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions while performing active gardening tasks
- Able to walk and stand for several hours at a time, in all weather condensations
· True passion for direct service for both children and young adults
· Great communicator who enjoys collaborating and fostering community engagement
· Must enroll in APCH’s Driver program
· Able to work some evenings and/or weekends
Please let us know if you are an APCH Alumnus
Background screening required/Relevant skills assessment required during screening
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401K retirement plan, generous time off, plus more!
Level of Language Proficiency
Qualified candidates, please email resume, cover letter and references to Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include all documents as one pdf file and use “Garden Aide” in the subject line.
(E-mail submissions only/No phone inquiries)
Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined requirements of the position.
Minimum Education Required