Details: Salary based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the midpoint of the range.
701 East Franklin Street
ased in Richmond, VA, the Strategic Communications Manager will play a key role in bolstering the ACLU of Virginia’s visibility across the Commonwealth. The ACLU of Virginia’s communications program includes media relations, web presence, social media, print materials, and community outreach. The Strategic Communications Manager reports to the Director of Strategic Communications and works closely with other members of the organization’s staff under an integrated advocacy model.
- Develop and execute communications strategy that reinforces the ACLU brand, heightens visibility of the ACLU of Virginia and supports the organization’s identified goals and priorities.
- Support media relations, including writing and disseminating press releases, pitching stories to targeted reporters, drafting talking points and message grids, making statements, arranging interviews with ACLU spokespersons, coaching spokespersons.
- Manage content of the ACLU of Virginia’s website and blog, drafting and posting content regularly to keep the site up-to-date, and managing the blog writing and editing process for staff and guest contributors.
- Track and analyze data gathered from the ACLU-VA website to optimize interaction with target audiences and expand reach. Implement search engine optimization techniques to increase visibility.
- Oversee social media and email marketing to share ACLU news, promote e-advocacy campaigns, publicize events and broaden ACLU audiences.
- Develop and manage the communications editorial calendar in collaboration with all other ACLU-VA teams.
- Write, edit, proofread and oversee production of ACLU of Virginia publications including pamphlets, brochures, issue reports, the organization’s annual report, education materials for donors, event promotions and other materials.
- Manage relationships with vendors such as designers and printers.
- Manage process for speaking engagements, including identifying opportunities for ACLU staff and board members to address key stakeholder groups on priority issues and evaluating and scheduling from outside organizations.
- Handle administrative tasks related to communications work such as maintaining media lists and tracking placements, and fulfilling requests for ACLU materials and information.
- Liaise and coordinate with national and other affiliate staff on development and use of new and existing technologies intended to assist in communicating actions goals and achievement to members and other stakeholders, and to drive stakeholders to take action.
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and the mission of the ACLU.
- Working knowledge and broad understanding of civil liberties issues and advocacy strategies.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with diverse audiences, including reporters and editors, community leaders, coalition partners and the public.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of the print and online media landscape.
- Experience with and comfort using online media and tools, including social media.
- A keen eye for design, page layout, and general presentation.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to plan ahead and meet deadlines and juggle multiple projects and priorities.
- Willingness to travel and work a flexible schedule (including weekends, evenings, and overtime, as needed).
- Facility with Microsoft Office suite and the Adobe Creative suite.
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and able to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community.
Excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays medical, vision and dental insurance, 401Kplan, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and fluency in Spanish would be a desirable attribute and experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a cover letter, resume and a two-page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “Strategic Communications Manager.” Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications for the job for which you are applying, and include the names of three professional references familiar with your work.
Application materials may also be mailed to Jess Powers, Director of Finance and Administration, ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin St., Ste. 1412, Richmond, VA.
Applications accepted until position is filled. To ensure consideration, application materials must be received by 5pm, April 1, 2018. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.