8403 Colesville Road
The Director of Development holds strategic and operational responsibility for supporting ATD’s ability to raise funds to support the sustainability of the organization. The Director has primary responsibility for sourcing new funders, stewarding funder relationships with members of the ATD leadership team, and composing proposals and compliance reports. While this role reports to the Chief Operating Officer, this role is highly cross-functional and will interface regularly with the Chief Advisor to the President & CEO and other members of the leadership team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Partnerships and Development (50%)
· Support the development of excellent relationships with partner organizations including corporations, philanthropy and other non-profit entities.
· Collaborate with Chief Advisor to the President & CEO, key leadership and program staff leads, and Finance team to write grant proposals. Coordinate with external partners as needed.
· Lead the completion of compliance requirements for existing grants with support from program staff and Finance team.
· Oversee and collaborate with the Development Officer in shaping and executing sponsorship opportunities for ATD events, and conducting prospect research for new funding opportunities and funding partners, including philanthropic, corporate, and government sources.
· Monitor trends in fundraising/development as related to higher education and upward mobility.
· Conduct outreach to new potential funding partners to identify interest level.
· Monitor/track key communications, submissions, progress towards deliverables, and deadlines using Salesforce and related tools.
· Collaborate with communications to promote our grant awards and related opportunities for the ATD network.
· Compose quarterly development reports for the ATD leadership team and Board of Directors. Support Board of Directors Development Committee as required.
· Maintain current understanding of ATD learning initiatives and other grant-supported work.
· Develop and retain team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility.
· Provide for consistent quality of financial management, project management, and area administration.
· Provide leadership to achieve and sustain a culture of collaboration and equity, to support and mentor staff, and to provide strong professional development pathways.
· Work collaboratively to integrate cross-program activities and functions.
· Support ATD events and meetings and contribute to internal committees as appropriate.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum eight years related experience as a fundraiser in a higher education and/or non-profit environment.
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
· Knowledge and experience in fundraising/development techniques and strategies.
· Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills, and the ability to effectively interface with colleagues and ATD leadership.
· Experience in developing appropriate communication strategies by scanning the environment for key information and tailoring message for the audience and situation.
· Skills to work with and motivate staff to complete grant-related tasks. Experience encouraging and supporting culture of cooperation and relationship-building.
· Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation skills.
· Proactive and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
· Highly organized and able to focus on details and “follow through”. Ability to develop and execute strategies to build alliances to advance ATD’s mission.
· Experience managing a small staff and working in a lean environment.
· Ability to work productively in both team and independent settings; must be self-reliant, a good problem solver, and results-oriented.
· Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact initiatives. Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty.
· Microsoft Office skills and familiarity with social media, Google Apps and mobile devices required; experience using Salesforce strongly preferred.
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Grade: 9
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Level of Travel Required: Moderate
Updated March 20, 2018
Achieving the Dream, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
Minimum Education Required