70 West Madison Street
For more than 25 years, Just The Beginning Foundation-A Pipeline Organization (JTB-APO) has been committed to encouraging underrepresented students to pursue career and leadership opportunities in the law while honoring the legacy of minorities in the federal judiciary. We believe lawyers and judges should reflect the backgrounds and perspectives of the populations they serve. Our team is comprised of legal and non-profit professionals dedicated to our mission with a passion for serving youth and creating a flexible and fun work environment!
The Program Manager is one of four full-time staff members at JTB-APO. This position supports the Executive Director and Program Director. The Program Manager will assist in the development, administration and facilitation of all JTB-APO programming throughout the year. The Program Manager must be willing to travel extensively during summer, as it is mandatory to implement our programs in various cities. More about JTB’s programs can be found at www.jtb.org. Programs may include but are not limited to:
· Summer Legal Institutes (SLI) - one-week legal immersion programs for high school students;
· Middle School Law Camp, a junior version of our SLI for grades 6th – 8th;
· iLead Law & Leadership Conference - a one-day workshop focusing on law and leadership skills for grades 6th – 12th;
· Supreme Court Day - an annual event that provides Scholars with an opportunity meet a Supreme Court Justice and tour the court;
· Classroom visits that provide Scholars with opportunities to learn more about the legal system and the federal judiciary;
· Summer Judicial Internship Diversity Project which places judicial interns from underrepresented backgrounds in federal appellate, district, bankruptcy, magistrate and select state appellate judges’ chambers; and
· Share The Wealth our federal judicial clerkship program.
• Work closely with the Program Director to implement JTB-APO workshops and instruct the students on topics including substantive law, business and social etiquette, resume building and college preparation;
• Coordinating and overseeing the development of curriculum and materials for programs;
• Conducting outreach/recruitment activities with potential program participants, funding organizations, educators, JTB-APO Board Members, state and federal partner judges and volunteers;
• Attending JTB-APO board meetings and report on the progress of the JTB-APO programs;
• Responding to program related phone, email, and written inquiries;
• Compile written summaries of all program related activities; and
• Working subject to the direction and supervision of the Executive Director and Board of Directors of JTB-APO, who may modify duties or assign such other duties and responsibilities as necessary and conducive to the best interests of JTB-APO.
• Has a BA. JD or MBA a plus;
• Has experience or interest in a non-profit career, diversity and the legal profession;
• Minimum of two years’ experience in teaching or youth programming preferred;
• Can motivate and encourage students;
• Can communicate with diverse audiences, including high school and law students, board members and prospective donors;
• Excellent public speaking and interpersonal communication skills;
• Strong writing skills required;
• Is a self-starter, solutions-oriented, able to learn on the go and work with minimal direction and guidance;
• Is organized, pays attention to detail and able to balance multiple projects;
• Has the discipline to occasionally complete tasks remotely; and
• Is proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
JTB-APO offers healthcare, as well as optional vision and dental benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and references in a single PDF to:
Antonette N. Smith, Executive Director
Just The Beginning-A Pipeline Organization
70 West Madison Street., Suite 2900
Chicago, Illinois 60602