Employment Type: Full-time, Regular, Non-exempt, At-Will
Reports to: Movement Building Director
Location: Oakland, California; this job may be worked from a remote location
Deadline: Open until filled. Qualified applicants will be screened and advanced on a rolling basis.
Forward Together is looking for a passionate and driven Movement Building Manager to connect organizations across issues and communities. This position strengthens the Strong Families Network, a growing group of over 200 organizations working together to build a movement to ensure all families have what they need to thrive. This is a unique opportunity to be a strategic partner at one of the leading organizations in the country advancing change at the intersection of race, gender and sexuality.
Who We Are
Forward Together transforms culture and policy to work for all of us nationwide. Since our founding in 1989, we have continually fought to dismantle the ways our society marginalizes us based on race, sexuality, and gender. Today, we build courage and foster connection among our multi-racial community of changemakers to secure the rights, recognition and resources all families need to thrive.
Across our country, and in our organization, we envision communities where we are all at home, where we take care of and respect each other, and where everyone is better off. We value the shared leadership of people of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQ+ and Indigenous people in building this future. Find out more about us at forwardtogether.org.
The Movement Building Manager cultivates and manages relationships with organizational partners with a primary focus on strengthening the Strong Families Network and project manages innovative collaborative campaigns and projects to change policy and culture.
You are perfect for this position if…
- You prioritize the lives of women and non-binary people of color and Indigenous people – and have actively lifted up and centered these voices in your professional work.
- Movement building is your middle name –You love weaving together the strengths and contributions of multiple partners for big impact.
- You rock intersectionality – connecting the dots between issues and communities at the intersection of race, gender and sexuality is your home.
- You excel at building relationships. You've built broad networks of organizers and movement leaders who know you to be a thoughtful and have impeccable follow-through.
- You like to laugh. Change work can be hard. You can laugh at yourself and with others in difficult times.
- Supports the Movement Building Director in developing strategies to build and strengthen the Strong Families network.
- Builds relationships with organizers and movement leaders that result in sustained organization to organization relationships and consistent movement up a ladder of engagement.
- Facilitates internal network communication and strategizing through multiple means: enewsletters, leadership video conferences and in-person convenings.
- Manages teams of Forward Together staff and external allies in implementing collaborative campaigns or projects such as Mamas Day or Trans Day of Resilience.
- Implements regular evaluation processes with network partners to assess shifts in shared analysis, relationship, collaboration and strategy.
- Actively participates in all staff team-building activities, including staff meetings and other activities such Courageous Practice. Courageous Practice includes a mind/body approach to strategy and movement building—for more information, check out this video.
- Commitment to Forward Together’s mission and social justice.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience with community organizing, advocacy and movement building strategies.
- Excellent group facilitation and presentation skills - comfortable speaking in front of groups Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Highly organized and systematic with superb time and project management skills and strong ability to skillfully juggle competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated track record building relationships and leading collaborative movement building strategies with multiple organizations and or groups
- Ability to work well in teams and use direct communication to express needs and priorities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, web browsers, Gmail, Google Calendar, Salesforce and the basics of database and conferencing software.
- Flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English.
- Ability to travel for 3-5 days at least six times per year.
Full benefits and generous PTO
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and verbal skills in English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
People of color, queer, transgender, gender nonconforming people and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE.
Please send cover letter (including where you heard about the position), resume, writing sample and 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Movement Building Manager”.
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.