Development Officer, West Coast (Los Angeles or San Francisco based)
- Job posted by Bend the Arc Jewish Action
Details: Specific information about the salary range will be shared with any candidate selected for an initial phone screen.
Position Title: Development Officer, West Coast
Reports to: Director of Development
Location: Bend the Arc San Francisco or Los Angeles Office
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender, and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
Department and Position Overview:
This is an excellent opportunity for a development professional to advance their career in fundraising while working with major donors who are as passionate as we are about social justice and the impact they can have on making real change in vulnerable communities across the U.S. As a crucial member of the development team, the West Coast Development Officer is responsible for generating revenue for Bend the Arc’s family of organizations, and supporting critical work to mobilize American Jews and allies to shift policy in service of a more just and equal nation for all. A substantial contribution of the Development Officer will be prospecting, stewarding, and soliciting regionally-based major donors and prospects.
The West Coast Development Officer works closely with a New York-based team, including the CEO and the Director of Development, to create and implement a comprehensive moves management program for those donors, including annual revenue projections and multiple opportunities for engagement, as well as to grow and expand Bend the Arc’s donor base west of the Mississippi. The Development Officer will be based full-time in either the Los Angeles or San Francisco office.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Create and implement a city-based moves management program for portfolio of individual donors and prospects of $1,000+
● Increase retention rates and maximize support from current donors by creating and implementing engagement plans for donors and prospects, including individual meetings, parlor meetings, special events, briefing calls, and opportunities to “see the work”
● Prospecting potential new major donors by identifying, prioritizing, and cultivating leads
● Partner with the CEO and other members of the senior leadership team and board to provide stewardship of donors they solicit, and support prospecting efforts to bring in new major donors
● Brief and debrief solicitors prior to and following meetings and events
● Conduct donor research, prepare donor packets for meetings, and gather and maintain relevant and timely donor collateral materials
● Work with the CEO’s Executive Assistant to schedule meetings and draft personalized updates and other correspondence to donors and prospects
● Establish benchmarks for progress and success in partnership with the Director of Development
● Monitor and track results against revenue goals for donor and prospect portfolio
● Maintain and update donor files in Raiser’s Edge
● Travel to Bend the Arc’s other regional California office (Los Angeles or San Francisco) on a quarterly basis (at least) to meet with donors, provide event support, and other fundraising activities
● Travel out-of-state for other donor or prospecting opportunities as needed, and for staff related activities (approximately twice a calendar year)
Skills and Qualifications:
● Minimum of 5 years of professional experience with at least 3 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising
● Strong commitment to and passion for the mission of Bend the Arc, including an understanding of the social justice issues core to Bend the Arc’s work
● Self-awareness and eagerness to receive and give constructive feedback
● Ability to self-direct at a high level while working with a team
● Meticulous attention to detail
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Previous professional experience or comfort working remotely from other members of your team, including your supervisor, especially around using technology
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Ability to initiate and manage multiple complex projects and work effectively in a results-oriented team environment and meet established deadlines
● Strong project and relationship management experience
● Ability to work evenings or on weekends based on need
● Ability to travel in-state and out-of-state periodically throughout the year (approximately 20% travel required)
● Experience with a moves management protocol preferred
● Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Hangouts, etc.), as well as comfort learning new technology and systems
● Experience working with development databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required
Compensation and Hours:
This is a full-time position with evening or weekend work schedules based on need. Salary is competitive and includes a generous benefits package including health benefits with substantial employer contribution as well as other benefits. Specific information about the salary range will be shared with any candidate selected for an initial phone screen.
Medical, dental, and vision benefits with generous employer contribution.
Employer paid short and long term disability and life insurance benefits.
Paid vacation and sick time off, in addition to 23 paid holidays.
401K with employer contribution.
3 weeks of paid parental leave for each year of tenure, with up to 12 weeks paid at 4 years of employment.
Flexible Spending Accounts for Dependent Care and Medical expenses.
Opportunity to work with dedicated colleagues who are truly committed to social justice
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This search is being conducted by Challenges and Solutions, LLC. Interested candidates should email (noting “BTA Development Officer” in the subject line) a thoughtful cover letter and resume, in confidence, to:
Mo Coffey, Challenges and Solutions
Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Bend the Arc encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.