Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
3217 W. Clearfield Street
Director of High School Placement
St. James School Graduate Support
The mission of the Graduate Support program is to provide St. James graduates with a network of academic, social emotional, spiritual, financial, and college-oriented support throughout their high school and post-secondary educational journey. The goal of Graduate Support is to ensure that students continue their educational advancement, fulfill their potential, and achieve productive roles in society.
It is our goal that all St. James graduates will pursue some kind of post-secondary education or training, whether that be at a four-year college, community college, or vocational/technical school.
The Director of High School Placement is a member of the Graduate Support team and reports directly to the Director of Graduate Support. They also work closely with the Director of Post-Secondary Success to manage a comprehensive program of support for all St. James School graduates and their families
They are responsible for cultivating and implementing the school-wide high school prep culture which educates students and their families about the high school opportunities in rigorous independent, charter, parochial, public, magnet, and boarding schools following their attendance at St. James. They also support students and families with the high school admission process including to but not limited to the application, interview, writing samples, financial aid applications, and placement decision through continual communication with high schools and St. James families.
- Operates and maintains the Huskies Hangout in a positive, welcoming, motivating and professional atmosphere
- Supports graduates through emergencies and unexpected occurrences
- Supervises weekly study halls
- Coordinates and communicates with Graduate Support tutors and mentors
- Manages monthly Graduate Support scholarship checks
- Assists graduates in finding summer work and enrichment opportunities
- Assists with organizing department-wide events for graduates and families in order to build and maintain relationships with St. James School
- Maintains database of graduate information including contact information, high school placement, post-secondary placement, and work placement
Specific Position Responsibilities
- Plans and teaches the 7th and 8th grade Skills class, including coordinating career, college, and high school guest speakers
- Meets with 8th grade parents as a group and on an individual basis regarding the high school placement process, including but not limited to: high school options, application process, test prep, and financial aid
- Organizes Family High School Information Nights for all grades to familiarize families with the high school application process and graduate support program
- Prepares students for various high school admittance exams especially the HSPT, ISEE, and SSAT
- Offers writing support for students who need assistance in writing essays
- Develops personalized list of high schools for each 8th grader to apply to based on grades, interests, goals for the future
- Maintains application tracker with all upcoming deadlines for applications, test dates, financial aid, interviews, etc.
- Arranges for 7th and 8th graders to visit high schools and coordinates transportation for all open houses, visitation days and entrance exams
- Guides students through scholarship opportunities including but not limited to Ellis Grants, Maguire, Jack Kent Cooke, etc.
- Coordinates recommendation letters amongst teachers
- Cultivates relationships with local college-prep high schools and nationwide boarding schools
- Communicates with high school admissions departments about students and progress of applications
- Maintains and revises database of potential placement high schools
- Organizes two annual interview workshops (fall of 8th grade, spring of 7th grade) to prepare students for high school interviews
- Models the school's values in all communications with students, families, and staff
- Additional school-wide responsibilities and staff coverages as assigned
- Awareness of and participation in high school or college placement/access programs
- Excellent organizational, planning, implementation, and communication skills
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to set objectives and achieve goals
- Excellent written, communication and presentation skills
- Initiative; leadership and tenacity
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, energetic, and dynamic environment
- Willingness to go above and beyond what is asked to complete a task or achieve a goal
- Detail oriented team player willing to roll up sleeves and get the job done
St. James School admits students of any race, color, religion, nationality, gender, and ethnic origin to all privileges, programs and activities at the school. St. James School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender, or ethnic origin in the administration of its policies.
Level of Language Proficiency
4 year degree required, Master's preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter and references to: email@example.com
Please note St. James School does not accept phone inquires. The school will not respond to all email inquiries.