1908 Association Drive
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. With nearly a 70-year history, DECA has impacted the lives of more than ten million students, educators, school administrators and business professionals. DECA’s programs and activities have constantly evolved as we use the latest technology and apply cutting edge educational research, while our core focus has remained consistent and is captured in our mission.
DECA Inc. is a 501(c)(3) not-for- profit student organization with more than 215,000 members in all 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Canada, China, Germany, Guam, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Spain. The United States Congress, the United States Department of Education and state, district and international departments of education authorize DECA’s programs.
About the opportunity:
DECA is looking for a Chief Development Officer (CDO) to lead the organization's efforts in obtaining resources to deliver on its important mission. This is a new position, created by the recently appointed Executive Director, is designed to provide the opportunity for a talented leader in the fundraising space to define success for this position and develop strategies to achieve that success. Starting from a position of strong organizational financial health, the CDO will have the time to connect with existing donors and partners to better understand the landscape of the organization before being asked to create new strategy.
- Oversees and manages development staff team of 6 FTEs.
- Directs fundraising effort, with a focus on sustaining current corporate and foundation sponsorships while cultivating new corporate/foundation and individual giving opportunities.
- Contributes to strategic planning activities and priorities for DECA activities.
- Develop, recommend and implement plan for development program based on DECA’s mission, unique selling propositions, and future goals, as well as current industry trends and analysis of historical performance.
- Works with the executive director and board of directors as appropriate to implement the DECA development strategy. Prepares reports for the board of directors as required.
- Sets goals for the development program and reports on progress towards those goals as needed.
- Develops and maintains relationships with current and potential DECA contributors through written correspondence, telephone conversations, and face-to-face meetings.
- Identifies and pursues funding for innovative programs, partnerships, and initiatives that further the goals outlined in the DECA strategic plan.
- Ensures the Foundation’s compliance with applicable laws governing 50l (c)(3) organizations as pertaining to development programs.
- Further develops and manages DECA' individual giving campaigns.
- Supervises the development of copy and creative platforms for DECA Development campaign materials. Ensure creative material is developed in accordance with defined marketing strategy.
- Coordinates with local and state organizations on fundraising initiatives. Provides assistance on a limited basis to chapters and states developing or implementing a fundraising campaign.
- Ability to effectively articulate the case for DECA’s mission of preparing emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in the fields of marketing, management, finance and hospitality to educators, corporate partners, volunteers, and the public.
- Ability to effectively represent DECA in a positive manner within the education, association, corporate, and philanthropic communities.
- Ability to work effectively independently and with a team environment.
- Experience working at a nonprofit organization as well as experience in working directly with a board of directors.
- Understanding and knowledge of non-profit regulations and compliance issues related to fundraising.
- Strategic thinker with ability to take ideas from conception to implementation.
- Proven successful corporate fundraising experience that is national in scope.
- Proven successful experience managing individual giving campaigns.
- Proven successful experience managing special fundraising events and exhibitions.
- Ability to effectively create and manage a department budget.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills.
- Ability to accurately and effectively prepare funding proposals, reports, and correspondence.
- Ability to seek, research and bring to fruition new prospects that align with DECA mission.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact easily with wide variety of people.
- Computer literacy, including database and general office software and ability to use Web/internet effectively to support fundraising activities.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the job title of "Chief Development Officer" in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Successful applicants will be asked to participate in an in-person interview within 3 weeks of submission.