District of Columbia
About AAI: Established in 1985 and based in Washington, DC, the Arab American Institute (AAI) is a non-profit, nonpartisan national leadership organization created to encourage, recognize, and celebrate Arab American participation in American civic life, and to cultivate and mobilize a strong, educated, empowered Arab American community that plays a meaningful role in the betterment of our country. AAI’s work focuses on two areas: civic engagement, and policy formation and research. Through ongoing meetings and forums with policy makers, a variety of publications and issue briefs, and media and direct member mobilization, AAI maintains a strong presence among policy makers on issues impacting civil rights and civil liberties. Our programming provides communities with the platform and hard data necessary to strategically and successfully combat xenophobia, and anti-Arab and anti-Muslim bigotry.
About Our Team: AAI seeks to make positive change in a way that is both principled and impactful. An ideal AAI team member will be a self-starter who has a strong commitment to the protection of civil and human rights and civil liberties for all, and is driven by a desire to advance AAI’s mission efficiently and effectively. We are proud to be a small, scrappy team that does good work.
AAI provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status.
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. AAI offers a competitive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, a retirement plan, and a generous leave policy.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
The Communications Associate shares the story of AAI’s work with our community members, stakeholders, allies, policy makers, advocates, and funders. The Communications Associate will lead and work in collaboration with field, policy, program, and development colleagues to produce content for AAI’s social media and website, assets for campaigns, publications, and external communication, including regular and rapid response emails. They will also be responsible for working press lists for traditional media coverage. The ideal candidate is a creative, adept communicator with strong attention to detail, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
The Communications Associate will direct and lead the strategic development and ongoing evaluation of AAI’s communication to promote the Institute’s work, relationships with leaders in the Arab American community, ethnic pride and awareness, and cross-departmental programs and events. Specific tasks include:
· Content Generation: Produce original content including videos, logos, infographics, and gifs; and lead or assist in the writing of news releases, blogs, opinion pieces, and position statements.
· Project Management: Take ownership of campaigns from gestation to fruition (from content conception, to production, and through distribution); direct and lead the maintenance of AAI’s website by assigning, editing, and posting content (e.g., text, photos, podcasts, and video) in a way consistent with the website architecture; setand manage production schedule for publications, ensuring all internal stakeholders review and sign off to meet deadlines; in cases where an external vendor is utilized (e.g., annual gala), ensure superior standards are maintained throughout the production process; and keep electronic content library organized.
· Strategic Communication: Develop and direct the implementation of multifaceted communications strategies for AAI work and campaigns, including the use and activity of:
o social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. (track, analyze, and make recommendations for improved performance)
o email campaigns and broadcasts on NationBuilder (track, analyze and make recommendations for improved performance)
o AAI website (provide ongoing analysis and reporting of website user data/site metrics, and recommend strategies for improving the user experience, content reach, and increased site traffic).
· Copy editing: Edit internal and public-facing materials for institutional voice and clarity.
· List building: Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists and thought leaders on key AAI policy issues; maintain and build list of media contacts; and serve as a point-of-contact with media.
· Content promotion: Pitch stories and promote AAI principals to journalists, and television and radio networks; use social media to gain coverage of AAI events and publications, and spread awareness of AAI’s work; and direct and lead efforts to publish op-eds of AAI principals and National Policy Council members in national and local newspapers and online publications.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Commitment to and understanding of AAI’s mission.
· Demonstrated planning and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
· Strong aesthetic, verbal, written, and editorial skills.
· A self-starter, entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
· Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and team skills.
· Knowledge of, and commitment to, best practices in the field of communications, including data analysis and reporting. Experience managing multiple social media platforms, and a proven track record of follower growth.
· Website administration and basic HTML skills. Familiarity with NationBuilder is a plus.
· Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
· Bachelor’s degree; preferably 4+ years of experience in the field of communications, public/media relations, marketing and/or journalism.
Please note that due to the number of applications we receive when a position is posted, we are, unfortunately, only able to respond directly to candidates with whom we wish to move forward in the interview process. Thank you.
Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. AAI offers a competitive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, a retirement plan, and a generous leave policy.
Minimum Education Required