Save the Redwoods League has been preserving redwood lands for over 100 years, with the mission of protecting and restoring redwood forests and connecting people with their peace and beauty. We're the only organization with the type of comprehensive approach needed to ensure that forests that take one thousand years to grow will be here for another thousand years. As the Major Gifts Officer, you will join the League at an exciting time as we shape the vision for the next century of redwood protection and ensure the philanthropic support necessary to fulfill our ambitious and comprehensive conservation efforts. To learn more about us, go to www.SaveTheRedwoods.org
Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the Major Gifts Officer will actively support Save the Redwoods League's mission by raising funds for land acquisition and restoration, the redwood parks, and our robust science, education and outreach programs. This position is responsible for meeting specific annual revenue goals and contributing to the success of Save the Redwoods League’s major gifts program and the Forever Forest Campaign.
The Major Gifts Officer develops, manages and solicits an active portfolio of up to 150 donors and prospective donors at the $10,000 and above giving level – with particular emphasis on cultivating and soliciting $100,000+ multi-year gifts – to ensure that they are inspired by the League's mission and engaged in supporting the organization. In addition, this position works closely with volunteer and staff leadership, members of the development and conservation programs teams and with other League staff to develop strategic and targeted giving opportunities for major donors.
We provide excellent benefits including paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental, transit benefits, life insurance and a generous 401K!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement individual donor strategies to qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of up to 150 donors and prospective donors who can contribute gifts of $10,000+, with an emphasis on $100,000+, multiyear gifts.
- Work closely with high-level volunteers, senior leadership, members of the development team, and program staff to effectively engage and solicit assigned major donor prospects.
- Make frequent contact with donors including in-person visits, phone calls, e-mail communications and written correspondence to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major donors through a moves management process.
- Collaborate with the Director of Major Gifts and Chief Development Officer to design and facilitate solicitations for the CEO, other senior staff, and board members including developing donor briefings for key meetings and solicitations.
- Collaborate with development and program staff, as well as the Campaign Director, to create and present compelling proposals.
- Participate on the Major Gifts Team to help develop campaign goals, strategies, timelines, budgets and compelling gift opportunities, including those related to the League’s Forever Forest Campaign.
- Work with key staff leadership to plan and implement donor tours and small gatherings.
- Participate in Save the Redwoods League events and donor trips as needed.
- Utilize donor database (Raisers Edge) to effectively implement moves management strategies for donors in portfolio.
- A strong commitment to the mission of Save the Redwoods League.
- A minimum of five to seven years successful fundraising experience, including two or more years in major gifts fundraising; proven track record of cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors resulting in five- and six-figure gifts.
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with high-level volunteers.
- Knowledge of development principles, fundraising strategies and ethics, and familiarity with “moves management” donor tracking systems.
- Knowledge of conservation programs preferred.
- Demonstrated cultural competency and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people across cultures, ethnic groups, and identities
- Results-focused self-starter with a collaborative approach and a strong team-oriented style.
- Superior interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills with the ability to represent the League’s mission and interests to a diverse group of people.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
- Experience planning and staffing major donor events.
- Campaign experience preferred.
- Excellent user of office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and donor databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, good driving record and possesses or has regular access to a vehicle
- Frequent travel, primarily within California.
- Some weekend and evening responsibilities.
- Regularly sits at a desk or computer workstation.
- Frequently required to hike through forest land while working off-site including walking on uneven ground, climbing over obstacles, and accessing remote locations
- Occasionally lifts, carries or otherwise moves objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
To Be Considered:
Email your resume, a cover letter addressing why you are a great fit for this role, and your salary expectations to: Jobs@SaveTheRedwoods.org with the subject heading "Major Gifts Officer".
NO CALLS PLEASE . . . we are busy protecting redwoods. Thank you!
Save the Redwoods League is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Fluent English speakers who are bi-or multi-lingual, including indigenous language speakers, are encouraged to apply.