Tahirih Justice Center, a non-profit legal services organization, seeks an outgoing and innovative Executive Director for our Greater Washington, DC office. This is a highly visible, public-facing role. The ideal candidate will be a solution-oriented, savvy professional who is skilled at leveraging both internal and external resources to achieve aggressive programmatic, fundraising, and strategic goals in a fast-paced environment. S/he will also need to be adept at facilitating trauma-informed legal representation and have a thriving passion for social justice. The successful candidate will be a proven, detail-oriented, self-starter who can effectively multi-task and easily shift gears from being strategic to tactical. The preferred candidate will be a progressive leader with prior management experience who can inspire staff to be exceptional ambassadors for Tahirih’s clients and foster a collaborative work environment that embodies our mission.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Serve as the primary leader and manager for the Greater DC Office (which includes 12 staff members)
• Develop, implement, and execute strategic goals, objectives, policies, and processes for the provision of immigration, family law, and social services in collaboration and coordination with the Chief of Programs and the National Director of Legal and Social Services
• Ensure high quality legal representation of and social service case management for clients by the Tahirih Justice Center
• Grow a local network of pro bono attorneys, building on already established partnerships, to support Tahirih’s legal representation
• Function as the primary liaison to the National Management Team based in Falls Church, VA
• Engage in public speaking, training, and outreach
• Support full-cycle fundraising and development to include:
o Identifying and researching potential donors and grantors;
o Collaborating with staff in the National Office including the Chief Development and Marketing Officer, Communications team, and Grants Manager to write and submit proposals, letters of intent, case statements, and acknowledgement letters;
o Hosting and attending networking and fundraising events to support Tahirih’s Greater DC operations
• 10 years of relevant experience;
• An engaging communicator that can effectively and independently communicate with diverse audiences and network collaboratively among a variety of stakeholder groups
• Demonstrated fundraising experience
• Flexibility to meet leadership and management responsibilities outside of standard office hours
• Experience supporting female survivors of trauma and those from diverse cultural backgrounds
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submissions: Please email a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to email@example.com.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá'í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 70 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Tahirih Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran's status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. Tahirih’s policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Men are particularly encouraged to apply.