1616 Greenup Avenue
Full Posting: Legal Secretary Ashland office
Summary: Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, with a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky, seeks a Legal Secretary for its Ashland, KY based office. The Legal Secretary supports the legal work of the assigned office, directs callers and visitors in the office, conducts client interviews, performs eligibility screening and creates legal documents for attorney review.
- Answer telephones, take messages, direct calls, and provide information to callers.
- Greet visitors to the office and schedule appointments.
- With the assistance of assigned attorneys, screen clients and make referrals to in-house staff and others.
- Open and close files and maintain the case filing system.
- Provide word processing support, compose letters and draft simple court pleadings as required.
- Interact with clients, other staff members, service providers, and court and administrative officials in a professional, appropriate, collegial, and cooperative manner. Establish and maintain relationships with clients to establish trust and obtain accurate and complete information.
- Actively participate in staff and planning meetings, task forces, and trainings if required.
- Perform basic client eligibility screening.
- Enter data appropriately in LABG’s electronic case management system.
- Maintain time records of all work related activities and enter accurate data on a timely basis into LABG’s electronic case management system as per 45 CFR Part 1626 and per LABG’s procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
- Legal Secretarial experience or training and at least a high school diploma
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low income people in 33 counties from 4 offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government and VA benefits, and housing and consumer law. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and encourages professional development. The position is open until filled.
Minimum Education Required