For more than a decade, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation has worked to empower kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits, by ensuring the environments that surround them provide and promote good health. The Alliance, founded by the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation, operates as an independent 501c3 non-profit organization guided by its own Board of Directors. As one of the nation’s largest children’s health organizations focusing on combating childhood obesity, the Alliance utilizes the best available scientific evidence of programs, policies and practices that positively impact healthy eating and physical activity behaviors among youth. The Alliance’s current work directly impacts more than 25 million children, with a focus on low-income and minority populations who are at increased risk for poor health, obesity and other diseases. To learn more and join the movement, visit www.HealthierGeneration.org.
It is the goal of the Alliance to fill employment vacancies with the most qualified applicants, whether recruiting internally or externally. Strong consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates. All internal and external candidates must comply with application requirements.
The Senior Manager, Accounting will manage the accounting functions including standardization/process improvement, general ledger maintenance, cash receipts, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, financial reporting, preparation for financial and any other types of audits, and internal/external client customer service communication. This position works collaboratively with CFO and Senior Financial Analyst to develop short- and long-range strategy and to ensure financial and operational stability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Co-develop Department Procedures Manual and monitor departmental adherence to procedures.
- Assist CFO in developing Financial Policies and Procedures and monitor adherence to policies.
- Direct and supervise the general accounting operations to include General Ledger, Payroll, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and all related fiduciary and financial record keeping.
- Provide direct support to CFO and management team in the annual budget process; work directly with the CFO to manage specific portions of annual and non-grant project budgets.
- Manage Payroll related transactions and reconciliations.
- Primary point person for external audits, working with auditors and collaborating with Sr. Financial Analyst to develop requested workpapers.
- Prepare and post journal entries as needed.
- Work directly with junior staff to manage and execute general ledger account reconciliations.
- Manage the monthly closing and financial statement process to ensure timely results are communicated to the CFO for reporting to senior leadership team & BOD.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and analysis of variances from budget.
- Design and create other ad hoc financial reports from accounting software, as needed.
- Assure financial plans are consistent with organizational goals.
- Effectively communicate with staff and leadership and able to translate financial and technical terms into easy to understand language.
- Work closely with the CFO and Senior Financial Analyst to consistently analyze allocation methodology and re-design allocation procedures for maximum reimbursement and cost containment.
- Prepare invoices as needed.
- Analyze and review all invoice entries and check payments, payroll reports and expense reports (for internal control and correct coding).
- Manage, coach, and guide junior team member to support day to-day operations.
- Oversee financial systems and internal controls.
- Administer ad-hoc trainings/presentations to internal stakeholders.
- Serve as administrator for the travel and expense system.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Meticulous attention to detail – demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness
- Complex problem solving abilities and critical thinking
- Outstanding organizational, administrative and interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Confidently and effectively present information to groups in formal and informal settings.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a virtual team environment.
- Ability to proactively manage complex work tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries and complaints
- Ability to explain complex topics to a variety of audiences.
- Expertise in accounting software (Financial Edge preferred)
- Advanced level Excel skills – including Macros, PivotTables and advanced workbooks for customized financial reporting outside of the financial software package
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive financial management experience
- Familiarity in working with Grant Funding and an aptitude for Flexible and Rolling Budgets preferred.
- Non-profit accounting preferred
- Experience working with Contracts and Agreements helpful
- Demonstrated supervisory experience required
- Experience managing travel and expense system; Concur preferred
This job description is subject to change at any time.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- 100% Remote Work
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Paid Time Off
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- Health and Dependent Care
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Mentor Program
- Professional Development
- Wellness, Cell Phone and Home Office Stipends
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter on our website.