Associate Director (Sr. Level), Database Management & Donor Services
- Job posted by Breast Cancer Research Foundation
28 West 44th Street
The Breast Cancer Research Foundation
The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is dedicated to being the end of breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research. Founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1993, BCRF-funded investigators have been deeply involved in every major breakthrough in breast cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment and survivorship. This year, BCRF has awarded $63 million in grants to support the work of nearly 300 scientists at leading medical and academic institutions across 14 countries, making BCRF the largest private funder of breast cancer research worldwide. BCRF is also the highest rated breast cancer nonprofit in the U.S. Visit www.bcrf.org to learn more.
BCRF is looking for a detailed-oriented and motivated senior level professional to join the Development team. The Associate Director, Database Management & Donor Services provides oversight of all data management, reporting, acknowledgement functions, and prospect data for BCRF. The Associate Director is tasked with overseeing and implementing best practices for the organization’s donor database system, Raiser’s Edge, to serve the current and future needs of BCRF. He/she will play a vital role in determining and implementing operating procedures to maintain a database of excellence and exhibit a deep understanding of development operational functions, including gift acceptance, gift processing and donor analytics. In this role, the Assiociate Director will manage a team to create a strong donor-services oriented culture, characterized by a high level of data integrity and accuracy, and excellent productivity.
The ideal candidate is organized, detail-oriented, analytical and proactive, and one who will continually strive for a donor database that promotes a coordinated and high-touch donor experience. He/she has a high degree of knowledge and functionality with Blackbaud products, donor database best practices, and the fundamentals of major gifts fundraising. The candidate knows when to elevate concerns and opportunities for improvement, can lead and implement changes to protocols across the organization, and is passionate about maintaining the integrity of the donor database to better serve the needs and aspirations of all departments, and BCRF’s overall mission.
· Oversee and maintain the organization’s donor database system, Raiser’s Edge, to serve the current and future needs of BCRF; strategize use of the donor database, reporting tools and technology platforms to support workflow and fundraising efforts.
· Develop and maintain internal policies and procedures to ensure the quality and integrity of the database, as well as gift acceptance and processing procedures.
· Liaise with the Chief Development Officer and key staff to lead gift entry, coding, attribution, acknowledgement processes, reporting, and metrics to ensure optimal collection and utilization of donor data.
· In conjunction with the Chief Development Officer and key Development staff, assess BCRF’s current database utilization and develop more effective policies and procedures; manage the SOP implementation across all departments.
· Develop and maintain standard queries and reports (knowledge of Crystal Reports is a plus); create and manage department dashboard for development and financial reporting; compile, summarize and analyze statistical and other data to provide recommendations.
· Create pledge tracking reports; set reporting priorities and establish appropriate timelines for gift entry, report generation, and the acknowledgment of gifts/pledges.
· Maintain constituent records and ensure all biographical information is appropriately obtained and kept up-to-date (i.e. email addresses, job titles, phone numbers, etc.).
· Liaise between departments to serve needs (including donor analytics, mail and email distribution lists, prospect research, moves management); monitor and report metrics, with special attention paid to understanding the impact of newly-implemented SOPs and fundraising initiatives.
· Maintain and troubleshoot any database issues; administer database security, maintenance and upgrades of Raiser’s Edge; serve as BCRF’s main liaison with Blackbaud; manage regular NCOA updates, deceased-finder, etc.
· Facilitate department-specific and organization-wide Raiser’s Edge staff trainings.
· Work in tandem with the Development team to identify new prospect research and management tools, assessing the needs and interests of all departments before creating formal recommendations.
· Represent and promote the values of BCRF to internal and external parties.
· 5-7 years of fundraising CRM/data systems experience required, preferably in a complex and/or federated non-profit environment
· Minimum of 5 years of experience and proficiency with Raiser’s Edge, online donation software, and software that integrates with Raiser’s Edge (ImportOmatic and other Omatic products are a plus) along with Microsoft Office Suite
· Demonstrated expertise in key Raiser’s Edge functions (NXT a plus), such as queries, list management, data manipulation, and reporting
· Blackbaud certification for Raiser’s Edge a plus
· Fluency in Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, fill function, formatting, reporting, etc.)
· Comprehensive understanding of major gift and annual fund fundraising principles and trends in fundraising and philanthropy
· Demonstrated expertise in and commitment to strong data hygiene
· Experience and confidence in managing a team of database specialists (2-3 people)
· Proven experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously with changing priorities and tight deadlines, as either project lead or team participant
· High level verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making skills, as well as proven use of initiative and assertiveness skills
· Demonstrated strong analytical skills to study and interpret user business requirements and business processes; perform analysis, research
· Demonstrated experience in exercising sound judgment within established policies and procedures.
· Proven experience working independently as well as part of a team in a highly collaborative team-focused environment
· Bachelor’s degree required; preference for Information and Technology, Business or related field, or equivalent relevant experience; Master’s degree in related area desirable
· Passion for fundraising operations and BCRF’s mission, motivation to succeed and strong drive for continual progress
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY: Qualified applicants should submit their application as one PDF file or Word file via e-mail and are required to include a cover letter and resume that detail the applicant’s qualifications and specific interest in the position. Links to websites such as LinkedIn may be provided in addition to a resume but are not a substitute for a resume.
Please submit your application via email to DevelopmentHire@bcrf.org, with the following subject line of email: [Your Last Name] – Associate Director, Database Management & Donor Services
Thank you for your interest. Due to the high volume of applications, please refrain from telephone calls, visits, faxes or additional emails.
Please no phone calls. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
BCRF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION