2348 Waterbury Avenue
Sapna NYC’s mission is to transform the lives of South Asian immigrant women by improving physical and mental health, expanding economic opportunities and building a collective voice for change.
Sapna NYC has a history of developing innovative, highly effective, and culturally competent health programs for South Asian women. Our health portfolio includes innovative diabetes prevention, depression treatment, breast cancer screening, and child health interventions. With the help of research partners at Albert Einstein college of Medicine, we design programs based on current scientific evidence and conduct state of the art evaluations of these programs.
Sapna NYC is looking for a bilingual (Bengali and English) Community Health Worker. The CHW is a core member of the team and will provide services to South Asian women across our a broad variety of programs. Key responsibilities include outreach, group facilitation, new member intakes, casework, home visits, data entry, and reports.
Community Health Worker Eligibility:
- Must be fluently bi-lingual – able to read, write, and speak in both English and Bengali
- Must be available to work a minimum of 20hrs/week excluding travel time. The position occasionally requires weekend and evening hours.
- Must be willing and able to travel to different boroughs on public transportation
- Must be outgoing, friendly and comfortable working with individuals and groups especially South Asian immigrant women.
- Must have excellent character with high ethical standards. Must be able to preserve confidentiality and to treat all community members, colleagues, and participants with respect and kindness.
- Must be willing and able to learn about community resources, execute outreach plans, collect data, and prepare reports.
- Must have word processing skills; including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Works easily with Google docs, Google Calendar, Dropbox, performs internet searches and respond to emails.
- Some college degree required. Associates degree or Bachelor’s degree a plus.
1. Knowledge development: Attend trainings in English on the following topics: nutrition and health, research methods, ethics, group facilitation and dynamics, outreach, data entry, motivational interview skills, basic counseling skills, case management and other relevant topics.
2. Community Outreach and Recruitment: Conduct outreach in the community to provide community education and recruit members for our programs. Outreach activities may include distributing flyers, meeting local stakeholders, tabling at different events, attending community health fairs.
3. Action Group Facilitator: Action groups are an integral part of several Sapna NYC programs. CHWs will help recruit, build and facilitate action groups. Activities may include: group facilitation, phone calls, translation services, providing one on one support.
4. Home Visiting. Health Workers will make home visits in NYC neighborhoods, assess home environments, and interact in a confident and friendly manner.
5. Research Intervention. This position involves participation in an NIH funded intervention that addresses child feeding. Home visits, and telephone follow up and support, with mothers of young infants will be required.
6. Record Keeping and Reporting: Perform necessary record keeping and reporting. Develop and maintains files, complete required agency forms, and submit reports. Ensure all relevant documents are maintained in files and are up to date. Enter information into database as may be required.
7. Education and Referrals: Provide one-on-one and group health education, nutrition, exercise, and healthy lifestyles. Conduct health education classes using adult education techniques. Make appropriate referrals to health care and social service providers and assist women to access these services when needed.
8. Miscellaneous: Any other program related responsibility as requested by Director and Managing Director
COMPENSATION: Sapna NYC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the Sapna NYC compensation scale.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references electronically to email@example.com.
This is a non-exempt hourly position with additional hours compensated where applicable.
Sapna NYC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the Sapna NYC compensation scale.
Level of Language Proficiency
Applicants must be fluently bi-lingual – able to read, write, and speak in both English and Bengali
Minimum Education Required