Director of Education and Training
For over 30 years, the Northern Manhattan Coalition for Immigrant Rights (NMCIR) has been providing high quality, trustworthy immigration-related legal services to the immigrant community. NMCIR is a non-profit organization founded in 1982 to educate, defend and protect the rights of immigrants, through direct services, civic engagement, community organizing and advocacy. NMCIR is committed to providing the non-citizen immigrant community in the tri-state area with legal immigration services, including assistance with citizenship, residency, and family-based petitions; educational support; and, advocating around detention and deportation.
The Director of Education and Training will be responsible for implementing and overseeing the day to day operations of the Education Department. The Director of Education has a commitment to social justice, self-confidence, initiative, and an open-minded outlook with a desire to constantly grow and learn. S/he must be open to receiving and offering feedback. S/he is at ease in varied social situations and community environments. S/he must be very good at working in a team and independently. S/he must demonstrate a passionate commitment to providing professional quality services to immigrants most in need. S/he must be a “people person” who takes great pride in ensuring that each person is provided with the highest quality treatment and attention.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Recruit and hire adult education instructors
- Supervise and support educators in their classroom goals - including curriculum development, check-in meetings
- Supervise and support Worker Center
- Oversee Computer Lab for enhanced student learning
- Provide (or identify) consistent professional development to educators
- Work with NMCIR team to recruit students and lead pre-assessment and registration process each quarter (CASAS / BEST assessment programs)
- Create and manage annual instructional calendar and field trip activities
- Create and manage class schedules
- Work with Education Team (including Vista and volunteers) to ensure weekly oversight of student information data, in their files and spreadsheets, for reporting purposes
- Design and implement orientation for new educators
- Ensure student data (and folders) are accurate and up to date for government and foundation contract reporting and site visits
- Support teachers with attendance and student retention
- Create grassroots marketing materials and distribute through multiple platforms, including social media and community venues
Masters' Degree in Education, Administration or other related discipline.
Experience in administration of adult education programs.
Experience working and teaching adult learners and diverse populations.
Experience in curriculum development and assessment. .
Experience in grant writing.
Experience in budget development and management.
Experience with workforce development including OSHA-10
Excellent organizational skills.
Excellent computer skills.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Experience in using technology in the classroom.
Experience with CASAS or BEST language assessment tools a plus
Experience in instructional design a plus.
Ability to adapt teaching styles and materials to meet individual needs of students.
Qualifications: NMCIR is seeking candidates who have 3-5 years of experience in education programming in the non-profit setting. Experience as a Master Teacher of adult learner is preferred. The candidate must believe that teachers can impact a large number of immigrant adults through strong teacher development. Experience with immigration, civics and social justice issues and how it impacts the community is strongly preferred. The candidate should possess strong organizational and communication abilities, a willingness to learn quickly, and enjoy working in a fast-paced work environment. This position requires a minimum of a Masters degree. Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is required.
Reports to: Deputy Director
Salary & Benefits: Commensurate with experience, plus health, and vacation benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "Director of Education"