About Unity Prep Charter High School of Brooklyn: Located on 584 Driggs Ave, in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, Unity Prep Charter High School is a grade 9-12, tuition-free, independent school. We empower our students through an academic program based on rigorous liberal arts and sciences, preparing students for college and beyond.
Job Summary: The Head Soccer Coach is responsible for various aspects of the Soccer Program, such as recruiting within the school, training, and coaching athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for interscholastic soccer competitions.
Job Specifications: In order to be successful in this job, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
- 1-3 years of experience coaching soccer at the high school level (head coaching experience preferred). Comprehensive knowledge of the game is paramount.
- Extensive knowledge of current coaching techniques and procedures.
- Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills.
- Must possess knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the sport.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators and governing organizations, opponents, staff, parents, and students.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Must have the ability to stand for extended periods of time; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height; and to bend, to stoop, to sit on the floor, to climb stairs, to walk and to reach overhead.
- Holds organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
- Assesses player's skills and assigns team positions.
- Develops a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
- Coaches and instructs players, individually and in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Work with other members of school staff to plan and put in place instructional goals and objectives to ensure the overall educational development of student athletes.
- Observes players, during competition and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
- Determines game strategy based on the team's capabilities.
- Monitors the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met; and encourages student athletes to maintain a high academic standard.
- Follows established procedures in the event of an athlete's injury.
- Conferences with parents/guardians, as necessary, regarding the athletic performance of their student.
- Follows state, regional, and district regulations governing the athletic program.
- Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
- Follows established procedures for the proper care, maintenance, and requisitioning of equipment, supplies, and uniforms.
- Works with the Athletic Director to develop a policy for awards and submits a list of award winners at the end of the season.
- The applicant must possess the ability to communicate in spoken and written word.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- The applicant must possess the ability to relate to students and to teach them on and off the field.
- The applicant must be willing to accept a high level of accountability.
- The applicant must possess the ability to assess players and coaches effectively.
- The applicant should be professionally calm and motivationally intense.
- The applicant should be a progressive thinker but a believer in planning and preparation.
Supervision Exercised: Assistant Coaches and Soccer staff
Supervision Received: Principal and Athletic Directors