26 Bleecker Street
Planned Parenthood of New York City is seeking a Staff Attorney to join our organization. The Staff Attorney will report to the Chief Strategy Officer and General Counsel, and will serve as a member of PPNYC’s Senior Management Team. This position will be based at our Administrative offices, located at 26 Bleecker Street, New York, NY 10012. This is a newly created role and unique opportunity to make a lasting, positive impact on a long-standing and recognized healthcare system.
It is an exciting and important time to work with Planned Parenthood of New York City. We are building on our strength with dynamic new leadership, talented staff members, engaged donors and activists, and amazing community partners. We are determined to thrive and grow in these times of transition and resistance.
Working at PPNYC is more than a job. It is an opportunity to help ensure that all New Yorkers have access to affordable, high-quality sexual and reproductive health care and evidence-based education programing so they can lead healthy lives and fulfill their dreams. We approach our work through a reproductive justice lens, seeking to break down the barriers, whether through our services, education or advocacy efforts, which prevent individuals from accessing the health care and information they need and deserve.
At PPNYC, we provide the absolute best care to our patients and our communities through innovative health care delivery and education programming. We care for everyone who walks through our doors regardless of insurance, ability to pay or immigration status. As a leading voice for reproductive freedom, PPNYC fiercely advocates for policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPNYC knows that our greatest asset is our people. We offer competitive compensation and robust benefits package to eligible employees. Our benefits package includes comprehensive health and dental insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan including an employer contribution, and generous paid time off.
What the Staff Attorney does:
- This individual will be responsible for managing all contracts with external parties, managing relationships with outside counsel, and working closely with the Compliance Officer on issues related to privacy, security, and risk management across the organization.
- The Staff Attorney will provide support to the Boards of Directors of PPNYC, PPNYC Action Fund, PPNYC Votes, and PPNYC Votes PAC on governance and compliance issues.
- The Staff Attorney will work closely with the External Affairs Department on issues including compliance with the New York State Nonprofit Corporation Law (NPCL); IRS rules governing tax-exempt entities; federal, state and city lobbying rules; and New York State Board of Elections regulations.
We’re seeking candidates who have:
- A Juris Doctorate with a minimum of 5 years of legal work experience with at least 2 as a staff attorney
- Been admitted to the NYS Bar and is a member in good standing
- Significant experience handling general corporate matters including drafting and negotiating commercial contracts such as consulting, vendor, license, copyright and employment agreements
- Familiarity with HIPAA policies and procedures and other healthcare regulatory filings
- Sufficient exposure to intellectual property issues to enable effective oversight of trademark, copyright, and licensing matters
- Experience managing and developing staff
- Experience working with c3s, c4s and 527s
The ideal candidate will also have:
- A commitment to sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice
- Experience working with not for profit organizations
- Be hands-on, customer-service-oriented, highly collaborative and possess a strong ability to weigh risk and recommend solutions while staying focused on what is critical to PPNYC’s overall mission
- Be business-oriented and have the ability to think and advise strategically
- Have a demonstrated ability and self-confidence to make presentations, advocate with outside parties, train staff and engage with other groups of stakeholders.
- An openness to evolving responsibilities and dealing with the unexpected.
- Comfort with rolling up your sleeves and digging in.
- A sense of humor
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Are you interested in bringing your passion, commitment and expertise to Planned Parenthood of New York City? Please follow this link to submit your resume and cover letter. No phone calls; PPNYC will contact select applicants to conduct an initial phone screening.
Planned Parenthood of New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.