Position Summary: The Administrative Assistant is the main general administrative support for the President and the Chief of Staff of the Apollo Theater Foundation. This position works closely with Chief of Staff to support all areas of the President’s professional life.
To be successful in this role, the Administrative Assistant is expected to have excellent verbal and written communication skills, sound judgment, poised and confident, with experience working in a dynamic environment that demands high level of administrative, organizational, communication, as well as problem-solving skills. They are expected to demonstrate professionalism, diplomacy and integrity; maintain appropriate confidentiality and discretion when interacting with board members, executives, co-workers as well as external constituents. Prior background working in nonprofits, especially performing arts institutions is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintain and monitor mail, contacts, and President’s calendar including scheduling, coordinating, and working with Chief of Staff to prioritize meetings.
- Manage President’s travel arrangements and proactively coordinate the pre-planning of trips (travel, transportation, lodging, itineraries, etc.) in conjunction with various internal calendar functions.
- Act as the administrative “gatekeeper” of the executive office to ensure and maintain the accuracy of key files. Organize the executive office including filing, archiving and maintaining records.
- Prepare departmental expense reports.
- Draft or edit written materials including letters and meeting minutes.
- Facilitate cross-department administrative and communication needs. Support internal and external communications.
- Working with Chief of Staff, in conjunction with the Development Department, support Board-related activities. These activities include scheduling, coordinating and setting up meetings. Ensure all logistical meeting arrangements and requirements are met. Collect written materials from each department to produce Board Books and Handbooks.
- Working with Chief of Staff, in coordination with the Development Department, support Strategic Plan execution and Capital Campaign-related activities.
- Prioritize tasks. Daily check-ins and project updates with Chief of Staff.
- Some event planning duties, including communicating information on select events to trustees to ensure their involvement, participation and attendance.
- Special projects as assigned. With primary duties fulfilled, the Administrative Assistant will be assigned to select organization-wide administrative projects, appointed by Chief of Staff, in consultation with the President.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, and/or competency required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in office administration, business management or public relations.
- The position requires at least two years of related experience supporting senior executive.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills
- High level of organizational skills. Eyes for aesthetics and details
- Computer proficiency - Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe PDF, Database
- Ability to prioritize; project management
- Ability to follow directions, take initiative, close the loops
- Strong work ethic, self-confidence and integrity, with desire to learn and absorb new information
- Dynamic interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to adapt easily to changing priorities
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, writing sample and resume to email@example.com with "OTP Administrative Assistant" in the subject line.